For Bachelor of Education requirements, see the Faculty of Education calendar.
The integrated lettres françaises et éducation programs meet teacher candidates’ needs by closely combining education in a discipline with teacher training. Right from first year, you learn concepts in pedagogy while receiving a solid grounding in French. What’s more, you complete your first practicum in a school in fourth year, enabling you to understand issues in teaching and bridging your theoretical knowledge of two disciplines and classroom practice.
Grade levels and corresponding divisions:
- Kindergarten to Grade 6 (4 to 12 year olds): Primary/Junior
- Grades 4 to 10 (9 to 16 year olds): Junior/Intermediate
- Grades 7 to 12 (14 to 18 year olds): Intermediate/Senior
• If you plan to teach in a secondary school, you must take at least 12 credits in a second discipline corresponding to a subject you will teach.
To remain in the BEd program, you must pass a language proficiency test administered by the Faculty of Education before Teacher Education courses begin, that is, before the start of third year. All students enrolled in the BA/BEd program must write a formative test to identify any weaknesses, receive personalized feedback and address any issues before the formal proficiency test.
- Students admitted into first year must write the formative test in March of their first year. The proficiency test takes place in March of their second year.
- Students admitted into second year must write the formative test in September. The proficiency test takes place in March of that same year as well.
The Faculty will email you to invite you to register for the test in a timely fashion. Until then, you must continue to improve your grammar and writing skills. (For suggestions on courses that can improve your French skills, please contact the Chair of the Département de français undergraduate studies committee.)
If you are admitted into one of the integrated lettres françaises et éducation programs, you must follow the regulations of the two faculties (Arts and Education).
Special admission conditions: You can only be admitted on a full-time basis and to the first or second year of the program.