Approved Executive Committee of the Board of Governors 67.23
1. All requests for legal services must be channelled through the Office of the Secretary.
2. Any costs incurred for legal services that are not being requested according to this policy will be charged to the Faculty, School or Service concerned.
3. Funds for legal services are provided in the budget of the Central Administration except for damages.
4. Damages or other penalties which result from claims or legal actions must be assumed within the budget of the Faculty, School or Service where the action or claim arose.
5. Service of any legal process should be effected upon an Officer of the University only. All other members of the University staff are not authorized to admit service either on behalf of the University or on behalf of any component of the University.
6. Where a legal process such as a writ of summons, statement of claim or otherwise is left with a member of staff of the University, this process must be forwarded immediately to the Office of the Secretary. Any delay in advising of such service may be prejudicial to any further actions to be taken by the University.
7. No exception may be made to this policy without the written consent of the Administrative Committee.
Revised March 1, 1973
(Office of the Vice-President, Governance)