Violent threats are extremely rare, but they do require specific actions and reactions. Depending on whether the violent incident is occurring off campus or on campus, you may be instructed to hold and secure or lockdown, respectively - each involves a series of measures that are intended to minimize risk to students and staff until civil authorities are able to take control of the situation.
In imminent danger
If a violent attacker armed with a deadly weapon is in your immediate vicinity, be ready to escape, hide, or, if your life is in imminent danger, defend yourself violently until you can get away.
Get away from the danger as quickly as you can and report the incident to Protection Services or to 911 once you’re safe.
Hide / Cover
- If you can’t get away from the danger, look for a place where you can hide (lockdown).
- Secure the area as best you can by locking and barricading the door.
- Take cover under or behind furniture and ensure cell phones and other sources of sound are turned off or silenced.
- Remain aware of your surroundings and the situation. If an opportunity arises to escape, do so!
- Prepare for the situation to escalate and to defend yourself violently as a last resort; look around for items you can use as a weapon; plan with any others in the space with you. There is strength in numbers!
IF YOUR LIFE IS IN IMMINENT DANGER and you cannot escape or hide, FIGHT BACK VIOLENTLY. Do not stop until you’re certain you can get away from the danger, then do so!