Presentation - Doctoral scholarships - External agencies
Who - What - Where - When - Why?
- Students with a GPA of 8.0/10 (A-) and above
- Academic Merit Scholarships
- Via appropriate portals
- 8-16 months before the beginning of your program of studies
- Substantial amounts – $15,000 minimum for one year
Being well prepared
- Identify two professors who will write you excellent letters of recommendation
- You will need to provide a research proposal or;
- if your program is non-research based you will need to identify the relevant courses, provide an explanation of your choice and outline your special interests in the proposed area of studies.
- if the output of your program is an artistic creation rather than a thesis, you will need to indicate the research component of your proposed work.
- Many Faculties will offer workshops, mentors, information sessions, etc. to help you to write a research proposal and prepare your application.
- Check the FGPS website regularly starting in Mid-August for up-to date information on application processes, deadlines and possible information and chat sessions that will be offered.
- Add to your agenda the deadlines – the deadlines are firm.
Trudeau Foundation Scholarship
INTERNAL DEADLINE: November 24, 2016
Applications are submitted via the online portal
The annual value is up to $60,000 per Scholar (including an annual travel allowance of $20,000) for up to 4 years.
The 4 themes:
- Human Rights and Dignity
- Responsible Citizenship
- Canada in the World
- People and their Natural Environment
- Full-time first or second year students registered (or in the process of registering in a doctoral program in the humanities and social sciences; and
- Canadian citizens or permanent residents registered full-time in a doctoral program in Canada, or Canadian citizens registered full-time in a doctoral program outside of Canada. Up to one scholar in four per given year may be a foreign national registered full-time in a doctoral program at a Canadian institution.
- Awarded for the duration of the external award
- This scholarship will replace the Admission Scholarship
- Awarded to recipients of major external awards : CIHR, FRQ, NSERC, OGS, QEII-GSST, SSHRC
- The value of the scholarship is equivalent to the tuition fees, up to $10,000 per year
- There is no guarantee of a matching component from the academic units (however, many academic units continue with the matching component)