The University of Ottawa Health Services Family Health Team (UOHS FHT) offers a Diabetes type 2 program that is focused on providing comprehensive diabetes care and helping you to live your best life with diabetes. The program is based on the Canadian Diabetes Association’s best practice guidelines and is led by a nurse practitioner. You will work with the nurse practitioner and other team members, meeting with them on a regular basis to review and enhance your diabetes management. More specifically, the program aims at:
- Providing comprehensive diabetes care for the affected individual and their family based on several strategies derived from evidence -based research and best clinical practices.
- Empowering the individual and his/her community toward effective self-management of diabetes.
- Develop and incorporate disease prevention and health promotion strategies in the everyday clinical practice.
What to Expect
Family Health Team (FHT) Program
Our Registered Dietitian works with you to set healthy lifestyle goals. She can help you with:
- Making healthy choices
- Managing your diet if you suffer from: celiac disease, irritable bowel syndrome, diabetes, high blood pressure
- Making sure you eat all essential nutrients
- Reading nutrition labels
Please note that our dietitian is currently on maternity leave.
How to Prepare
- Have laboratory tests done before your visit
- Bring blood glucose records with you (written down or printed from your meter)
- Bring a list of all medications you are taking including non-prescription drugs. Let the team know which ones need to be refilled.
- Write down any questions you have about your diabetes.
- Save any non-urgent, non-diabetes questions for visits with your family physician
How to Access
If you have rostered with a physician at the UOHS FHT, you are 18 years or older and you have a diagnosis of Diabetes Mellitus Type II, you can join the Diabetes type 2 Program and have free access to the service. Call 613-564-3950 for more information or to book an appointment. By participating in the UOHS FHT Diabetes program you may be able to better manage your diabetes and avoid diabetes-related complications while still having regular appointments with your family doctor or nurse practitioner for management of your overall health. All patients rostered to the UOHS FHT have access to our allied health professionals.