Smoking cessation is a health priority for the University of Ottawa Health Services Family Health Team. In 2009, our providers adopted the Ottawa Model for Smoking Cessation (OMSC) in Primary Care. It focuses on helping patients to quit smoking long term by providing counselling and cessation medications. The program helps patient identify their smoking status, provides advice on strategies to quit smoking; and provides assistance with quitting. The program includes collaboration with the Heart Institute to provide follow-up counselling to help patients remain smoke-free.
All patient who have a visit with a family physician, allied health professional or specialist at UOHS will be screened for their smoking status using the Ocean tablets, at registration.
The Program includes collaboration with CAMH's STOP for access to free NRT. In addition, uOttawa students are referred to a smoking cessation counsellor through the Leave the Pack Behind program.
What to Expect
The Ottawa Model for Smoking Cessation involves a common approach to:
- Identify your smoking status at clinic visits;
- Advise you on strategies to quit smoking;
- Provide assistance with quitting while at the clinic; and
- Ensure follow-up counselling once you leave the clinic to help you stay smoke-free.
Visit the University of Ottawa Heart Institute’s website for more information on the Ottawa Model for Smoking Cessation
How to Access
All patients with a primary care provider at UOHS can access this program. Ask your physician or nurse practitioner about the program if you are interested in being referred. You can also self-refer to these programs by calling us at 613-564-3950 to request an appointment with the Nurse Practitioner program lead.
Students – you can also drop by our Resource Centre on campus at UCU 203 to speak with our staff and learn more about smoking cessation resources and programs and our walk/run group to help you quit for good. Visit www.LeaveThePackBehind.org (LTPB) for online smoking cessation strategies and tips. Sign up at www.QuitRunChill.org (QRC) for online run/walk and relaxation programs that benefit both smokers and non-smokers
Employees of the University of Ottawa can also access the Stop Smoking Centre online program available on the Shepellfgi employee assistance program provider website
- The online program is designed in an interactive and personal way to provide employees with the needed resources prior to quitting and to overcome the hurdles associated with smoke cessation.
- For additional information concerning the University’s employee assistance program, or for information about the reimbursement of the cost of Nicotine Replacement products, employees can contact the Health, Wellness and Leave Sector in Human Resources by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 613-562-5800 ext. 1473.