The Family Health Team (FHT) of the University of Ottawa Health Services offers mental health services. Our Mental Health Counsellors are qualified professionals who work with patients in a short-term, focused and confidential manner to find solutions. Bilingual services provided may address a range of issues, from acute situational reactions, marital discord, behavioural issues in children, to more chronic conditions, such as anxiety, depression, and other mood disorders, with clinical counselling services being offered to people of all ages. Counselling services are goal oriented and a range of evidence based approaches are used in working with patients. The length and type of service provided will depend on the nature of the presenting issue. Patients may also be referred to other community resources to help meet their needs.
In addition to individual counselling services the mental health team offers psycho-educational groups on different topics. They also work collaboratively with other interdisciplinary health providers regarding chronic disease management programs.
What to Expect
Mental Health Counselling
- Counselling for different mental health/psychosocial issues such as: depression; anxiety-stress; phobias; PTSD following domestic violence, sexual abuse, accidents, or other traumas; grief and loss issues; relationship problems (with partner, child, teen, colleague, employer, etc.); parenting issues (parent-child, parent-teen, etc.); addiction issues (short-term assistance only)
- Individual, couple or family therapy
- The number of counselling sessions is limited to 6-8 sessions
- Psycho-educational groups on selected topics such as anxiety, and attention deficit disorder.
- Linkages to community resources
- Additional support and counselling services are offered through SASS.
How to Access
Family Health Team Psychiatrist and Mental Health Counselors – available to patients enrolled with a family physician with the UOHS Family Health Team. There is no fee for our mental health services.
UOHS also offers psychiatric and psychological services to all patients.
- SASS – Student Academic Success Service
- Crisis Line Ottawa 613-722-6914 or 1-866-996-0991
- CAMH – Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
- CMHA – Canadian Mental Health Association
- Youth Services Bureau of Ottawa
- Ottawa Mental Health Crisis Line (24h) 613-722-6914
- Ottawa Distress Centre (24h) 613-238-3311
- Assaulted Women’s Helpline (24h) 1-866-863-0511
- Sexual Assault Support Centre of Ottawa (24h) 613-234-2266
- YSB Crisis Line (24h) 613-260-2360
- CAS Ottawa – Child Protection Issues 613-747-7800
- Fem’aide – ligne de soutien 1-877-336-2433 (French only)
- Tel-aide Outaouais (8am-Midnight) 613-741-6433 / 819-775-3223 (French only)
- Kids’ Help Phone (24h) 1-800-668-6868
- Tel-Jeune (24h) 1-800-263-2266