Subject areas like biology, sociology, engineering, women's studies and psychology are common nouns and don't normally take a capital letter.
- The University of Ottawa has programs in an array of disciplines, from mathematics and medicine to chemistry and criminology.
The same applies to broader areas:
- Professor Doesitall has published extensively in the humanities, pure and applied sciences and arts.
NOTE: Capitalize the first letter in disciplines and subject areas only:
in an official academic unit title:
- School of Psychology; Department of Theatre, etc.
on a diploma or certificate:
- …so and so has met all of the requirements of the Master's in Linguistics
in lists of official degree titles:
- The Department of Social Sciences offers these degrees: Honours Bachelor of Social Science; Master's in Sociology…