Building code: TBT
The university’s logo was inspired by the huge columns at the front entrance of Tabaret Hall. The Hall was built in several stages: after the main building was erected in 1905, additional wings were added in 1914, 1922 and 1931. The architect, A. O. Von Herbulis, from New York, based his design on the Capitol Building in Washington. Its classic architecture, monolithic columns and ornate trim give the building its special character.
Tabaret Hall has housed dormitories for students and professors, a dining hall, a chapel, a gymnasium and, of course, classrooms and offices. Today, it contains the Central Administration, the Office of the Registrar, Financial Services and the administrative offices of the Faculty of Social Science, Computing and Communications Services, Research Services, Marketing and Communications Services and the Human Resources Service. The Departments of Political Science, Sociology, Economics and Leisure Studies also call Tabaret Hall home.
The building was given its name in 1971 to honour Father Joseph-Henri Tabaret, OMI, considered the “builder” of the institution. During the 1800s, Father Tabaret was the driving force behind the university for over 30 years, and it was under his leadership that Bytown College became an official university. An ardent defender of bilingualism, Father Tabaret was often heard to say, “in this part of Canada, the use of both languages is not a matter of discussion, it is a matter of necessity.” The university’s administration still remains faithful to these ideals.