Tools and resources
Creating accessible documents – Accessibility Toolkit (1st edition)
Interactive: Creating accessible documents
The Accessibility Toolkit is an online reference tool that provides current best practices in the area of creating and communicating information in accessible formats.
The Toolkit contains seven (7) independent modules on the following topics: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Forms, Multimedia, WCAG and AODA. Each module includes one or more of the following tools:
- Instructional video tutorials
- Text tutorial
- Accessible templates
- Q & A
- Accessibility checklist
- Information links
Click on the button below to get started!
Accessible version: Transcripts of audio
- Accessibility features common to MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint 2010
- MS Word 2010 Accessibility Features
- MS Excel 2010 Accessibility Features
- MS PowerPoint 2010 Accessibility Features
- Accessible Forms
- WCAG 2.0 Overview
If you have any comments or suggestions about the toolkit or on accessibility at University of Ottawa, please contact us by email.
Planning Accessible Events
The Council for Ontario Universities has created documents with regards to planning an accessible event.
- A Planning Guide for Accessible Conferences
- A Checklist for Planning Accessible Conferences
- Universal Symbols of Accessibility
Hosting Accessible Events Series
Resources for Professors and Educators
As of January 2013, the Government of Ontario requires Universities and Colleges in the province to provide accessibility training to all educators. This is a great opportunity to discuss best practices in teaching and learning. This guide offers an overview of inclusive teaching practices. As such, the following documents introduce tools illustrating strategies from which to articulate and guide course design and delivery. They should positively influence the professor-student interaction, the syllabus, the teaching/learning dynamic and the evaluation process. Also, you have access to two videos with student testimonials, where they describe their challenges and needs, as well as share their experiences and tips. Enjoy the readings and the videos!
Accessibility Resource Kit
- Introduction to inclusive teaching practices
- Implementation checklist for inclusive teaching practices
- Universal design for learning guidelines
- Minimizing the impact of learning obstacles: Access service guide
- Testimony of Maia and Maia's transcript of testimony
- Testimony of Celeste and Celeste’s transcript of testimony
Tools for implementing accessible courses
Tip Sheets on general educational functions to help implement accessible course and program design, delivery and instruction: