Approved Administrative Committee 935.5
1. This policy is designed to ensure that valuable space is efficiently managed and utilized.
SUMMARY OF POLICY
2. It is intended henceforth to centralize the management of storage. Its dual purpose is to allow administrative and academic units to make better use of their existing resources and to discourage the proliferation of storage areas within faculties and services.
DEFINITION OF STORAGE
3. For the purposes of this policy, storage at the University is defined as the use of space to store:
- a) equipment and furniture
- b) documents
- c) forms and other supplies.
STORAGE OF FURNITURE AND EQUIPMENT
4. In general, designated storage areas are the responsibility of Physical Plant Services, as defined in Policy 90.
5. Storage of surplus or unused equipment and furniture from all faculties or services should be handled through Physical Plant Services' Central Storage. However, as a cost-saving measure, equipment or furniture used on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis may be kept close by rather than moved back and forth from a designated storage area.
STORAGE OF DOCUMENTS
Upon receipt of a request for additional space or space modification, the office responsible for Space Management will perform a space survey which will include all types of space presently utilized by the requesting unit. Regardless of the type of space requested, the question of document storage space will be included in this survey. If there are any doubts as to the amount of storage space needed for the storage of documents, the University Archives may be asked to assess the situation and make recommendations.
STORAGE OF FORMS AND SUPPLIES
8. Storage of forms and supplies should be kept to a minimum in individual faculties and services.
When forms are to be purchased, negotiations by Materials Management Services for storage by suppliers and for delivery on an "as-required" basis are encouraged. Should this not be possible, bulk storage will be handled through Physical Plant Services' Central Storage.
9. No exception may be made to this policy without the written consent of the Vice-Rector, Resources and Planning.
Published February 10, 1987
(Office of the Vice-President, Resources)