Approved Executive Committee of the Board of Governors 67.23
HEALTH INSURANCE AND HOSPITALIZATION INSURANCE PLANS
1. The University strives to fulfill its responsibilities by virtue of the health insurance plans covering all its regular support staff.
2. The University also strives to ensure that its staff members receive proper treatment for medical conditions or other problems from which they may be suffering.
3. In keeping with the above-mentioned principles, the University pursues the following objectives:
- a) To ensure proper protection for the University's regular staff against expenses for the treatment of medical conditions or other problems that are not covered by provincial programs.
- b) To meet its payment obligations, as an employer, to the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP).
ONTARIO HEALTH INSURANCE PLAN (OHIP)
4. As an employer in the province of Ontario, the University of Ottawa must transfer a portion of its salary mass, as prescribed by the government of Ontario, to meet its OHIP obligations.
5. All residents of Ontario are insured against the cost of all services covered by OHIP.
6. Staff members residing in the province of Québec are covered by the Régime d'assurance-maladie du Québec.
ELIGIBILITY FOR THE UNIVERSITY'S INSURANCE PLANS
7. The following staff members are eligible for the health insurance and hospitalization insurance plans offered by the University:
- a) members of the teaching staff holding regular positions that require 50% or more of a normal workload and having been appointed for a period of two consecutive semesters or more;
- b) members of the support staff holding a regular position entailing fifteen hours of work or more per week for a specified and uninterrupted period of eight months or more;
- c) dependents of those persons mentioned in a) and b) above, except where article 10 applies;
- d) Policy No. 48 deals with persons whose salaries are paid through a research grant.
SUPPLEMENTARY HEALTH INSURANCE PLAN
8. The Metropolitan Insurance Company's supplementary collective insurance plan refunds certain medical expenses and fees that are not included in Ontario and Québec's health plans, but that are insurable according to the provisions of the provincial plans. A breakdown of refundable fees is available at the Employee Benefits Section of the University.
9. Only staff members holding a regular position, as defined earlier, are eligible; the University pays all premiums.
10. Staff members subject to the exclusion provisions of paragraphs 4 through 11 of Policy No. 8 are not eligible for the plan.
HOSPITALIZATION INSURANE PLAN
11. Regular staff members may take advantage of an optional hospitalization insurance plan offered by the University. This plan is offered in addition to expenses for hospitalization covered by provincial plans.
12. Staff members can contact the Employee Benefits Section for detailed information concerning these plans.
13. No exception may be made to this policy without the written consent of the Administrative Committee.
Revised May 23, 1990