Approved Executive Committee of the Board of Governors 67.23
1. The University aims at ensuring that every new employee actively recruited outside the Ottawa-Hull metropolitan district will be justly reimbursed for relocation expenses.
2. Employees newly hired to fill a position paid under salary code 1S4 are eligible for reimbursement of relocation expenses, providing the relocation was in the best interest of the University.
ALLOWABLE RELOCATION EXPENSES
3. Reimbursement of relocation expenses shall not normally exceed $4,000 Canadian. Payments must come out of the budget of the faculty or service.
4. On presentation of vouchers or tenders, claims will be reimbursed in the following manner:
- a) the first $1,000 of relocation expenses shall be paid by the University;
- b) the University will pay 75% of the amount in excess of $1,000 up to a maximum of $4,000. The Vice-rector, Resources may authorize exceptions to this limit.
ALLOWABLE RELOCATION EXPENSES
5. Relocation expenses are reasonable expenses incurred as a direct result of the relocation and include the following:
- a) packing, crating, moving, and unpacking of household goods and personal effects, as well as insurance and storage for a period not to exceed one month. Two tenders must be submitted, and the lower one will be used for calculating the reimbursement;
- b) transfer of family by the most economical means of transportation, according to the rates and procedures outlined in Policy No. 21;
- c) reasonable living expenses incurred during the moving trip;
- d) one advance visit for the purpose of securing suitable housing. The spouse may accompany the new employee in this instance.
6. All expenses claimed under this policy are to be reported to the Director, Human Resources Service on a "Request for payment" form with "Relocation Expenses" marked at the top, above the claimant's name. Supporting documents for all expense items must accompany the requisition. The claimant must also specify whether a total or partial claim is being made. Before the Director, Financial Resources Service can authorize the reimbursement, all expenses must be approved by the senior officer concerned.
7. Relocation costs paid to a new employee constitute a loan made by the University.
8. This loan will be paid off through three years of continuous service at the University. Each year is equivalent to a third of the loan.
9. Should the beneficiary of the loan leave the University before completing three years of service, for personal or disciplinary reasons, he/she must reimburse the University for the outstanding portion of the loan.
10. Payment of advances for relocation expenses may be made upon special request by the senior officer concerned, with the approval of the dean or director.
11. The Director of Human Resources Service shall be responsible for the interpretation of this policy. Deans and Directors, along with the Director of Human Resources Service, will be jointly responsible for its application.
12. No exception may be made to this policy without the written consent of the Vice-rector, Resources and Planning.
Revised September 28, 1987