Senate Appeals Committee
The Senate has established a Senate Appeals Committee that makes final decisions on specific cases of academic appeal once these matters have been dealt with at the faculty level. This includes:
- Appeals submitted by students concerning the application of regulations governing admissions, promotions and degree requirements, and any other academic regulations of the University;
- Any recommendation of disciplinary sanction or appeal of a disciplinary sanction in accordance with relevant Senate regulations;
- Any other appeal referred to the Committee by the Senate or its Executive Committee.
The Committee may also make recommendations on any regulatory and/or policy changes with respect to the regulations and procedures which it is entrusted to apply. It reports to the Senate or the Executive Committee of the Senate once a year, or upon request; its Chair is appointed by the Executive Committee.
Terms of Reference
Terms of Reference
This Committee was established by Senate resolution 87-88.15, amended September 11, 1989 by resolutions 89-90.8 and 89-90.9, September 10, 2007 by resolution 2007-2008.5 and February 4, 2008 by resolution 2007-2008.53, on December 2, 2013 by resolution 2013-2014.17 and on June 8, 2015 by resolution 2014-2015.57
The Committee consists of eight members, including six full-time regular professors, one undergraduate student and one graduate student. At least three of the professors must be members of the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
The undergraduate student will be appointed by the Executive Committee of the Senate among the candidates presented by a nominating committee made up of the undergraduate student senators and the Vice-President, University Affairs of the Student Federation of the University of Ottawa. The graduate student will be appointed by the Executive Committee of the Senate among the candidates presented by a nominating committee made up of the graduate student senators and a member of the Executive of the Graduate Students’ Association of the University of Ottawa (GSAÉD).
Term of Office
Terms of office are for a three-year period and are renewable.
Five members constitute a quorum.
Chairmanship and Vice-Chairmanship of the Committee
The Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson are appointed by the Executive Committee of the Senate from amongst the members of the Committee.
The Chairperson shall not vote, except to break a tie vote.
The Vice-Chairperson replaces the Chairperson when the latter is absent, in which case the Vice-Chairperson shall not vote, except to break a tie vote.
The Secretary of the University or his or her representative acts as secretary to the Committee. The Secretary of the University does not vote, but has a right to participate in the deliberations of the Committee.
Recusal of Member
A member of the Committee shall recuse him or herself when dealing with an appeal where the member, alone or as part of a committee, reported an issue, made a recommendation or rendered a decision in the department or faculty appeal process involving the matter which is the subject of the Senate appeal. The Committee may also require a member to recuse himself or herself where the Committee determines that there could exist a reasonable apprehension of bias.
- The Senate Appeals Committee makes a final decision on the following matters:
- any appeal submitted by a student concerning the application of regulations governing admissions, promotions and degree requirements, and any other academic regulations of the University;
- any recommendation of disciplinary sanction, or appeal of a disciplinary sanction, in accordance with relevant Senate regulations;
- any other appeal referred to the Committee by the Senate or its Executive Committee.
- The Committee recommends to the Senate any change which it deems appropriate with respect to the regulations and procedures which it is entrusted to apply.
Report to Senate
Once a year, or upon request from the Senate or its Executive Committee, the Committee shall present a report of its activities to the Senate.
Secretarial services for the Committee will be provided by the Office of the Secretary.
Common Law Section
End of Term:2019/05/31
Faculty of Medicine
End of Term: 2021/08/31
Faculty of Engineering
End of Term: 2019/08/31
Faculty of Science
End of Term: 2020/07/24
Faculty of Health Sciences
End of Term: 2020/11/03
End of Term: 2021/06/30
Faculty of Social Sciences
End of Term: 2021/06/04
End of Term: 2019/08/31