En français SVP!
Did you know that our campus has a student lounge dedicated to Francophonie? Since 2011, we have managed the Carrefour Francophone, a community resource and cultural centre where Francophone and Francophile students can socialize in French, thereby spreading and promoting the use of the French language.
We are re-opening the Carrefour Francophone! Here is the new schedule for the Fall 2021 semester.
- Week of October 18: Open Tuesday, October 19 and Thursday, October 21 from 12 p.m. - 4 p.m.
- Week of October 25: Closed due to reading week
- Week of November 1: Open Monday to Friday from 12 p.m. - 4 p.m.
- Week of November 8: Open Monday to Friday from 12 p.m. - 4 p.m.
- Week of November 15: Open Monday to Friday from 12 p.m. - 4 p.m.
- Week of November 22: Open Monday to Friday from 12 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Our mission at the Carrefour Francophone is to:
- Serve as the hub of Francophone socio-cultural life for the University of Ottawa's Francophone and Francophile student population.
- Promote and develop French culture in Ontario by providing access to a wide array of resources and information centering on this matter while considering other French-language cultures.
- Help strengthen and consolidate the University of Ottawa's Francophone community and to prompt more networking in this community through activities organized in cooperation with specialists from both the university and Ottawa region.
What can I do at the Carrefour?
- Chat with your friends (in French of course!)
- Talk with the coordinator of the Carrefour to learn more about French sociocultural life on campus and in the Ottawa region.
- Participate in one of the many activities that happen here every week.
- Hold your own activity! This activity should be open to all students and should contribute to their sense of belonging to the Francophone and Francophile community on campus. Get in touch with the coordinator to learn more about the booking policies.
The Carrefour Francophone hosts a large variety of events to allow the uOttawa community to stay connected with their culture. Whether you’re a Francophone or a Francophile, you’re always welcome!
September 21st to September 26th
Mois de la Francophonie
March is the Mois de la Francophonie and the University of Ottawa joins the international community in celebrating French language and culture in all its forms. Activities will take place all over campus during the month of March — concerts, exhibitions, talks, films and more!
This March, let’s celebrate our own rich, dynamic Francophone community. See the full schedule of events here.
Location & Contact Info
Meet the Coordinator
Maxime Brunet is the coordinator of the Carrefour Francophone.
As such, he serves as the bridge between Francophones on campus and in the community.
He is an expert on all things Francophone and can assist you in finding resources on campus whether you would like to learn French, or practice what you already know. He is also your key contact if you’d like to organize your own event in the Carrefour.
Get in touch by emailing maxime.brunet@uOttawa.ca.
Carrefour Francophone Map
Interested in stopping by the Carrefour? You can find us in UCU 026 right next to where you took your U-Pass photo. See you there!