Spotlight on Employers is building a bridge between students and employers. This is an opportunity for students to ask questions on recruitment process, organization values, available positions, recruitment periods and more.
Every month, a different employer will be featured on the blog. Read the article and ask all of your questions at the bottom of the page.
Introducing Shared Services Canada
At Shared Services Canada (SSC), we update and manage government networks, equipment and security with new, more efficient technologies to better serve Canadians. Our responsibilities include cloud and data storage systems, Internet access security, and firewalls. We also provide hardware, software, remote conferencing, mobile device equipment and day-to-day operational support for over 100 federal organizations.
SSC is modernizing and securing the Government of Canada's IT infrastructure – the backbone of some of the most critical programs and services that Canadians rely on every day. Every time Canadians cross the border, check the weather, or apply for key benefits, SSC is there working behind the scene.
SSC hires students through the Federal Student Work Experience Program (FSWEP) and co-operative education programs.
Some areas we look to hire in include:
- Incident Management and Service Desk;
- Data Centre Support;
- Mainframe team;
- Communications and engagement; and
- Policy and planning.
Our key IT areas
- Data Centre Services;
- Networks and Telecommunications;
- Cyber and IT Security; and
- Workplace Technologies.
Why join SSC?
We offer a unique environment for employees to grow, learn, advance and do meaningful work in a long-term career. If you crave a challenge, are driven to lead a career that supports a ground-breaking mission, SSC is the place to be!
Working with Shared Services, you can:
- Gain valuable experience and professional development to advance your IT skills;
- Work with flexible arrangements, such as working remotely and compressed work weeks when appropriate for the role;
- Join networks like Agora - our employee-led innovation network; and,
- Be exposed to special projects.
Our ideal candidate
At SSC, we are looking for dynamic and innovative individuals to fill positions all over Canada.
Top skills and experience we look for include:
- Positive can-do attitude;
- Collaborative spirit;
- Analytical thinking;
- Drive for results;
- Communications savvy; and,
- IT-related education or experience.
At SSC we also value diversity, including diversity of perspectives, employees and careers within our organization. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds while we promote equality in the workplace.
Did you know?
- SSC’s Executive Vice President, Sarah Paquet, is the Deputy Minister Champion for the University of Ottawa. We’ve partnered with uOttawa to identify joint priorities and provide special events. We also hire a Student Ambassador every term. Contact the Co-op Office for more information.
- SSC recently was tasked with providing the Canadian High Arctic Research Station (CHARS) campus with the IT infrastructure needed to help make it state of the art. Read the article to know more about infrastructure.
- We teamed up with Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) to provide Canadians with greater access to weather information through their WeatherCan app. Read the article to know more about the app.
- We look for opportunities to mentor women in IT and STEM. For instance, we have been involved in the Dr. Roberta Bondar Career Development Program for Young Women in Science and Technology. Read the article to know more about the opportunities to mentor.