Have you ever found yourself on campus with no time to go home in-between? Scrolling on your phone passes time, up to a point. When that “You’re all caught up” message shows up on Instagram, you know you should probably be doing something else.
If you’ve ever been or will be in that situation and are looking to change things up this year, we have options for you.
Commit to using one of your breaks to do a physical activity. It’s great for concentration, mental health, and physical health. Most of the activities run for approximately 1 hour: the perfect amount of time to get moving between two classes! Bonus: It’ll be easier to stick to it if you make it a regular habit.
- As a full-time student, you have access to the pool (Montpetit) as well as both on-campus gyms (Montpetit and Minto) using your uOttawa card.
- If you’re not into going to the gym, you can still get moving with our fitness classes, our drop-in sports, or commit to a registered activity. Consult the online schedule to see which activities are running during your breaks!
- If you ever need to step off campus, the Rideau Canal is right across the street! Get some fresh air by taking a stroll or renting a bike, it’s the perfect way to get your body moving and your mind clear.
TAKE A MOMENT TO UNWIND
What relaxes your brain? We mean truly relax. What reinvigorates you to make you feel present in your next class?
It’s different for everyone, but here are a few suggestions that could help:
- Pet therapy
These (free!) activities take place every week and are a great way to recharge before putting your nose back in books. Pick one and go every week, or change it up. No registration required, so it’s up to you.
Activities not your style? Find a cozy campus spot and challenge yourself to practicing mindfulness. Five minutes per day will go a long way to help you tackle those stressful times.
Locations to check out:
- Learning Crossroads Building (CRX)
- Third floor of the Faculty of Social Sciences Building (FSS)
- Brian Dickson Law Library
- Desmarais (DMS) computer labs
VISIT THE FREE STORE
Yes, you read right: Free Store. As in, everything is free.
If you have a shorter break between your classes, go check it out. You can find anything from knick-knacks, to clothes, to printers! This initiative helps reduce waste on our campus and is a great way to give unused objects a new life.
Don’t forget your student card; this service is only available to the uOttawa community. Visit their website to know when they are open and how you can contribute.
Enjoy your next break!