International students

The University of Ottawa’s International Office is monitoring the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in coordination with key stakeholders on campus. The safety and well-being of students abroad is a priority for our office.

Symptoms of COVID-19 include fever, a cough and difficulty breathing. Should you experience these symptoms AND you or someone you have been in close contact with has recently travelled internationally to an affected region, avoid contact with others and see your health care professional or nearest hospital.

  • Register if you can with your government to receive alerts. Canadians can register here.
  • Ensure that you are receiving regular updates on the local situation from your host institution.
  • Stay informed on the latest Government of Canada Travel Advisories for your region.


The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)

In Ontario

UHIP pays the full cost for most medical services and treatments. But some medical professionals may charge more than the UHIP reimbursement rate. In these cases, you will have to pay the difference between the two amounts.

For more information on UHIP coverage, please consult the UHIP website

While travelling outside Ontario

In Canada

UHIP provides the same coverage for emergency medical expenses as OHIP (Ontario’s provincial health plan).
A medical emergency is an acute injury or illness. It poses an immediate risk to a person's life or long-term health.

Outside Canada

UHIP provides minimal out-of-country for emergency medical expenses. A medical emergency is an acute injury or illness. It poses an immediate risk to a person's life or long-term health. This may not be enough to cover your medical expenses.

We strongly recommend you purchase additional private travel insurance to cover significant out-of-pocket expenses. Some students have travel insurance through their student association (UOSU) (GSAED), please ensure that you have appropriate coverage.

Should you have any additional questions, please contact us by email at


International students may experience disruption of their immigration and academic status due to the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

  • Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has implemented special immigration measures for certain countries. Therefore, we encourage international students to monitor their website for the most up to date information.
  • In order to renew travel documents outside of Canada, we encourage international students to consult their Embassy/Consulate for alternatives. For example, issuance of an alternative travel document instead of a passport, or remote request of a new passport using an Embassy located outside of Canada.
  • International students who are not eligible to apply for a study permit within Canada may submit their application to the office located in their country of nationality or country they are legally admitted.
  • International students who are not be able to return home may extend their stay in Canada by changing their status to visitor or worker.
  • International students who are not able to return to Canada for the academic term will be considered on a leave of absence for immigration purposes if they followed the institution’s or faculty’s policy. There are impacts on their immigration status in Canada due to a leave of absence.
  • International students who are at the end of their studies and are planning to return home or planning to travel abroad in general, should visit the travel information page of this website for more details.

If you have questions regarding your immigration status and the impacts, we encourage you to contact an immigration advisor at the International Office by e-mail: Alternatively, you may also contact IRCC directly.

International Student Online Hub

To stay connected with our nearly 1,000 International students, an online hub is available for students to get answers to urgent questions, share experiences and more.

Back to top