If you are currently enrolled to the Thesis option and planning on going on a Research Stay, you may be eligible for a travel grant. Consult the relevant section below for more details on eligibility criteria.
The Office of the Vice-Provost, Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies and the Institute of the Environment, Graduate Studies, recognizes that travel in the pursuit of research for your thesis can be necessary and important. For this purpose, we may offer grants for travel outside the National Capital Region when circumstances require it. Travel that allows the direct collection of data for a thesis in progress will be considered. Students may conduct interviews, perform archival research or consult documents or works unavailable in the region, or may further develop their research processes by visiting a foreign lab (university or government).
Up to 550$
Prior to leaving
Before the research stay
- Send us a completed application form. Eligibility conditions are detailed below.
Students enrolled in full-time studies in a Master’s with thesis program at the University of Ottawa when the research stay takes place are eligible. A single grant for the duration of the studies is allowed. At least two terms but less than six terms must have been completed when the travel takes place.
Nota Bene: All terms count including terms with leaves of absence, except for approved leaves of absence for medical, maternity or parental reasons.
Grants may only be used to cover either travel expenses (train, plane, bus or other) or accommodation expenses (accommodation and meals). Other travel- related expenses will not be reimbursed. The maximum grant is $550.
Participation - Eligibility Requirements
The student must:
- Be studying full-time in a Master’s with thesis program when the travel takes place;
- Complete the form and the required estimated budget;
- Clearly indicate how the research stay is related to the thesis in progress;
- Ensure that the research director or the program director indicates his or her support in a detailed recommendation in the space provided for this purpose on the application.
Applications must be submitted before the travel takes place (no grants will be considered after the fact).
- Submit your application by email by sending the scanned documents to: envirograd@uOttawa.ca
- Or submit the application form and any supporting documents to 1 Stewart room 301, Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 6N5.
- Wait for the acceptance or refusal letter from the Institute of the Environment, Graduate Studies, by email. (copies will also be sent to the supervisor, Human Resources Service and the GSAED).
- Upon returning from the conference, complete the Request for Reimbursement of Travel Expenses form and return it with the original receipts to the Institute of the Environment, Graduate Studies.
- Where applicable, it is the student’s responsibility to ensure that ethics approval for the research project is obtained prior to the Research travel.
Download the form: Master's with thesis students (PDF)
After the research stay
Send us a breakdown of your travel expenses and the accompanying documents.
Download the following form: Request for reimbursement of travel expenses (.xls)
* The information on this page is subject to change without notice and does not represent a commitment from the University of Ottawa.
** Funds are limited and will be distributed to eligible applicants on a first come, first serve basis.