- Can you clarify what you mean by research project? And the specific requirements for the research project?
The research project is an intense full-time 8-month in laboratory project exploring an aspect of biomedical science. This project, performed under the supervision of a professor, involves the development of a research question, hypothesis and experimental aims and the execution of experimental procedures, data analysis and interpretation. A research paper and poster presentation are expected at the end of the project.
- What would be the final product of the research project?
Students must write a research paper and present a scientific poster at the end of the research project.
- By research project, do you mean a published paper in a scientific journal?
No, the students are not expected to produce a scientific article that is publishable after only 8 months. However, the research paper submitted for evaluation does follow the standard structure of a scientific article.
- Is this new program a good option for students that are potentially interested in pursuing a PhD at the University of Ottawa in the future?
Students completing the MSc with research paper are eligible to apply for the PhD Program as research experience is included in the research project option. You must complete the MSc with research project option before applying to the PhD program at the University of Ottawa.
- Will the masters with research project have the same value on the job market as the masters with thesis?
As always, it depends what your career aspirations are. The MSc with research project offers important research experience that can be useful for careers in government and industry and allows for progression to the PhD programs at the Faculty of Medicine. While the duration of the MSc with research project is not, as long as the thesis-based program, graduates from the MSc with research project will nonetheless be well-versed in research skills.
- Can people apply directly to the 1-year MSc option? If so, would they be eligible for the admission scholarship if they meet the requirements?
As of September 2021, students admitted to the MSc with research project option will be eligible for the admission scholarship.
- How does the research project differ from the thesis aside from time input requirements?
- When saying that it needs two courses from the home program, and two from any graduate program at the Faculty of Medicine - does that include EPI, PBH, and PHR courses?
Yes with special permission.