Services at your disposal throughout your academic career.

Reminder: When a problem is not of an academic nature, it is a sign that you must seek out an alternate service.

If at any time a student is at risk of harming themselves or others, call Protection Services (on campus) at 613-562-5411, or Emergency Services (off campus) at 911.

Examples of Situations Who to Contact? Description of Services
A student in distress: wants to hurt himself or hurt others.

Protection Services
141 Louis Pasteur
Phone : 613-562-5411

Protection Services officers have a mobile team that has the necessary training to intervene in crisis and mental health situations.
A student has difficulties meeting the academic demands of their program, or experiences mental health challenges.

Vice-Dean of Graduate Studies
Dr. Alain Stintzi
Phone: 613-562-5800 ext. 8216

The Vice-Dean, Graduate Studies is always the first point of contact and should be aware of all of these types of situations.
A student who is not in immediate distress, but is seeking help (mental health, counselling, support, etc.) and does not know where to go.

Faculty Wellness Program

Roger Guindon Hall, Room 3028G
Tel.: 613-562-5800 ext. 8507
The Faculty Wellness Program can provide counselling services and will refer the student to additional appropriate services if required.
A student claims to be the victim of harassment or discrimination by a professor or another student, or who is a witness of such situations.

Human Rights Office 
1 Stewart, room 121
Phone : 613-562-5222
Faculty Professionalism Reporting Service

The Human Rights Office handles complaints of discrimination, harassment and sexual violence and provides impartial service to all. Its services are confidential.

The Faculty of Medicine also has a professionalism policy and an online reporting tool that can also be used.
A student requires assistance with conflict resolution

Program Director and/or Vice Dean of Graduate Studies

Program director and/or Vice Dean of Graduate Studies provide support in managing conflict arising between students and between supervisors and students.

The Ombudsperson is an independent service.
Provide information, coaching and intervention support including mediation to resolve conflicts.

A student is in need of accommodation to enable them to be more successful in their studies. Ex. A student who must use special software to write an exam or do their work due to a disability.

SASS - Academic Accommodations Service (Access)
Desmarais Hall, room 3172
55, Laurier Avenue East
Phone : 613-562-5976
[email protected]

The Access Service is responsible for assessing, establishing, and implementing appropriate academic accommodations for students who have a temporary or permanent disability, with respect and reliability, within the framework of the various regulations and laws.
If a student is having financial challenges.

Financial Aid and Awards Service (FAAS)Desmarais Hall, room 3156
55, Laurier Avenue East
Phone : 613-562-5734

Offers an array of financial resources (scholarships, government assistance, etc.)
Difficulty in writing assignments or weakness in writing.

Academic Writing Help Centre (AWHC)110, University
Phone : 613-562-5601

Develop writing skills.
Emergency Services (distress, crisis situation) Counselling Services Online Resources

Protection Service
Must be the first service to consider on campus in case of an emergency.

The Faculty Wellness Program can provide counselling services to all members of the faculty (undergraduate and graduate students, postdoctoral fellows and faculty members).

Waiting period: a reply within 48 hours, meeting with a counsellor within 2 weeks

To make an appointment, contact the Faculty Wellness Program by email.
A website that provides anonymous, confidential and trustworthy information. The site allows searches by location and service, 24/7 (bilingual).

(24/7 Bilingual Student Helpline)

Helpline run by professional counsellors who listens to students. Free and confidential support services.

1-866-925-5454 or text GOOD2TALKON to 686868.

(For French, text ALLOJECOUTEON to the same number).

TAO - Therapy Assistance Online is free by using your email address and is available 24/7

Therapy Assistance Online is a platform of educational tools and modules that can help you understand your many stressors and identify ways to manage them. TAO offers therapy tailored to your schedule and lifestyle. TAO's educational modules can be completed at your own pace, when you want, wherever you are.

Information resources about mental health and wellness

Crisis Text Line (24/7)

Text HOME to 686868 from anywhere in Canada - no need for a data plan or internet connection (For French, text PARLER to the same number)

GSAÉD - Student Support Program - SSP
(Morneau Shepell):

Complementary and confidential service to graduate students 24/7 (bilingual)


Campus Activities offered by a variety of clubs, groups and communities at the University of Ottawa. Select the tags “Wellness” or “Mental health” to find activities.

Mental Health Crisis Line - 24/7 (bilingual)

Within Ottawa : 613-722-6914
Outside Ottawa : 1-866-996-0991

Support groups for international students offered by the University of Ottawa's Counseling Services.

Community information and services
24/7 (bilingual): 211


Helpline that provides treatment service information for people experiencing problems with alcohol and drugs, mental illness or gambling. Helpful, supportive System Navigation Specialists answer all calls, emails or webchat requests 24/7 (bilingual). Service is free and confidential.


Counselling Connect provides quick access to a free phone or video counselling session to residents in the Ottawa region.

InfoSanté Helpline 24/7 (bilingual): 811

Distress Centre Ottawa and Region (English only)