In order to minimize the spread of Coronavirus, most uOttawa staff, students and Faculty members are working from home. Setting up a home workspace is often easier said than done, especially when it comes to IT. Here are a few resources to get you off to a productive start.
Keep your devices secure
- Take some time to learn about the current threats and dangers lurking in your email inbox and online. Here are uOttawa’s IT Security Guidelines for working remotely. Here you will find security guidelines are useful for anyone working from a distance, and especially for those who are using a personal device.
Become friends with online tools and resources
- Many of the tools you use everyday are available through your web browser, check out some of the tools that will facilitate working remotely. If that’s not enough, here are some instructions on how to remotely connect to your work computer or use your University-issued laptop to safely access applications or files.
Teamwork makes the dream work
- Just because you're physically distanced from your colleagues doesn't mean that your can't collaborate face to face. Use Microsoft Teams or Adobe Connect to facilitate meetings, group conversations, file sharing and more.
- Refrain from downloading and using apps that are not University of Ottawa-approved for meetings or to provide remote teaching and learning sessions. Apps such as Zoom are not secure.
Resources for Professors
- The team over at Teaching and Learning Support Services has been working hard to gather resources that will help Professors transition their courses online. Visit TLSS’ Teaching continuity page for resources available to you.
Resources for students
- Whether you need to reset your password, download software, or brush up on internet security, uOttawa’s IT team has some useful tools here.
Your home workspace has been set up and everything is running smoothly, but you still have questions? Information Technology’s Working remotely page offers links to Digital Self-Defence training, on sharing documents with colleagues and much more. You can also visit the IT Service portal to get all the help you need!