The Rhodes Scholarship is the oldest (first awarded in 1902) and perhaps most prestigious international scholarship program, enabling outstanding young people from around the world to study at the University of Oxford.
For more than a century, the Rhodes Trust has funded scholarships for exceptional Canadian citizens or permanent resident students, domiciled in Canada to study at the University of Oxford.
Rhodes Scholarships are for young leaders of outstanding intellect and character who are motivated to engage with global challenges, committed to the service of others and show promise of becoming value-driven, principled leaders for the world’s future.
a. Nationality/citizenship: You must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada (students who are attending a Canadian university on a student visa are not eligible to apply).
b. Education/residency: You must be domiciled in Canada
c. Age: You must have reached your 19th and not have passed your 25th birthday on 1 October 2020, which means you must have been born after 30 September 1995 and on or before 1 October 2001.
d. Academic achievement: You must have completed (or will have completed by June / July 2020) an undergraduate degree from a college or university (normally a bachelor’s degree) to a sufficiently high standard to be admitted to postgraduate study at the University of Oxford. In this respect, please note carefully the requirements for your chosen course at Oxford.
Please see the Scholarships area of the Rhodes Trust website for full details at www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/scholarships/the-rhodes-scholarship
The Rhodes scholarship covers tuition and provides an annual stipend covering living expenses for study at the University of Oxford.
For more details, please consult Rhodes' website.
2019 Deadline for application for endorsement by the University of Ottawa
Thursday, September 5, 2019
Deadline for candidates to submit a copy of the main elements of their application file to the Office of the Vice-Provost, Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Office at ogps@uOttawa.ca. The Rhodes on-line application system will require an authorization code, which can be obtained by sending an email to ogps@uOttawa.ca.
The required elements of the application file (all in English) include:
- A statement of your general interests and activities, your proposed course of study at Oxford and your present intentions as to your future career. This statement should not exceed 1000 words in length.
- A factual list of principal activities and honours while in College or University (including scholarships, prizes, awards, offices held, athletic record and extracurricular interests and activities) with dates.
- A copy of the 6 reference letters submitted in the Rhodes on-line application system (referees can directly send a copy of their letter to ogps@uOttawa.ca). At least four of these referees should be persons under whom the applicant has studied at university and should comment upon the applicant’s academic preparation and scholastic achievements. The other two should be able to speak about the applicant’s character and broader non-academic interests.
- A copy of your official transcripts
- A draft of a written statement to be signed by the President of the University of Ottawa endorsing your candidacy for the Scholarship (institutional support).
Important notice: Late and/or incomplete applications will not be submitted to the President's Office for a letter of nomination.
Note: Considering the limited number of Rhodes scholarships available in Canada and the required academic standing to be admitted into Oxford, only applications that are deemed to have a reasonable chance of being selected by the Rhodes Regional Selection Committees will be recommended, and the maximum number of recommended applications for the University of Ottawa will be limited to 3.
2019 Deadline for application to the Rhodes Trust for Rhodes Scholarship
23:59 PT (PDT), Friday, 27 September 2019
Timeline and selection process at the University of Ottawa
September 10-20, 2019
Review and selection of the recommended applications by the University of Ottawa Committee, which mostly consists of professors who are Rhodes Scholars.
September 24, 2019
Candidates will be informed of the outcome of the internal selection process.
September 25, 2019
Office of the President to courier submission letters to the Secretary of the Rhodes Regional Selection Committees
September 27, 2019
On-line application system closing date. All material from applicants must have been submitted on-line by that date (including the letters from six referees), and the statement from the President the University endorsing the candidacy for the Scholarship must have been received by the Secretary of the Rhodes Regional Selection Committee.
October – early November 2019
The Rhodes Regional Selection Committees will make a preliminary selection on the basis of credentials assessed in the written application.
The Rhodes Regional Selection Committee will summon to a personal interview some selected candidates (no scholar will be selected for the Scholarship without such an interview). The selected candidates from University of Ottawa should contact ogsp@uOttawa.ca in order to meet with the University of Ottawa Rhodes committee members (Rhodes scholars) for mentoring prior to those interviews.
* The information on this page is subject to change without notice and does not represent a commitment from the University of Ottawa.