For more than a century, the Rhodes Trust has funded scholarships for exceptional Canadian citizens or permanent resident students, domiciled in Canada to study at the University of Oxford.
Consult Rhodes' website
Closed for the 2018-2019 competition.
Important notice: Late and/or incomplete applications will not be submitted to the President's Office for a letter of nomination.
Timeline and selection process at uOttawa
September 6, 2018
Deadline for candidates to submit a copy of the main elements of their application file to the FGPS Awards Office at grad.awards@uOttawa.ca. The Rhodes on-line application system will require an authorization code, which can be obtained by sending an email to grad.awards@uOttawa.ca.
The required elements of the application file (all in English) include:
- A statement of your general interests and activities, your proposed course of study at Oxford and your present intentions as to your future career. This statement should not exceed 1000 words in length.
- A factual list of principal activities and honours while in College or University (including scholarships, prizes, awards, offices held, athletic record and extra-curricular interests and activities) with dates.
- A copy of the 6 reference letters submitted in the Rhodes on-line application system (referees can directly send a copy of their letter to grad.awards@uOttawa.ca). At least four of these referees should be persons under whom the applicant has studied at University and should comment upon the applicant’s academic preparation and scholastic achievements. The other two should be able to speak about the applicant’s character and broader non-academic interests.
- A copy of an your official transcripts
- A draft of a written Statement to be signed by the President of the University of Ottawa endorsing your candidacy for the Scholarship (institutional support)
September 11-20, 2018
Review and selection of the recommended applications by the uOttawa committee, which mostly consists of professors who are Rhodes Scholars.
Note: Considering the limited number of Rhodes scholarships available in Canada and the required academic standing to be admitted into Oxford, only applications that are deemed to have a reasonable chance of being selected by the Rhodes Regional Selection Committees will be recommended, and the maximum number of recommended applications for uOttawa will be limited to 3.
September 24, 2018
Candidates will be informed of the outcome of the internal selection process.
September 25, 2018
Institutional recommendation letters sent to Language Services.
September 26, 2018 (at the latest)
Institutional recommendation letters sent to the Office of the President.
September 27, 2018
Office of the President to courier submission letters to the Secretary of the Rhodes Regional Selection Committees
September 28, 2018
On-line application system closing date. All material from applicants must have been submitted on-line by that date (including the letters from six referees), and the statement from the President the University endorsing the candidacy for the Scholarship must have been received by the Secretary of the Rhodes Regional Selection Committee.
October – early November 2018
The Rhodes Regional Selection Committees will make a preliminary selection on the basis of credentials assessed in the written application.
The Rhodes Regional Selection Committee will summon to a personal interview some selected candidates (no Scholar will be selected for the Scholarship without such an interview). The selected candidates from uOttawa should contactgrad.awards@uOttawa.ca in order to meet with the uOttawa Rhodes committee members (Rhodes scholars) for mentoring prior to those interviews.
* The information on this page is subject to change without notice and does not represent a commitment from the University of Ottawa.