A proposed external examiner is, or was in the last six years:
- from the same university
- from the same organization
- from the same department,
- belongs or belonged to the same research unit as the supervisors or candidate
- There is an administrative or family link between the proposed external examiner and the supervisor or candidate.
A proposed external examiner is or was, within the past six years:
- a former research supervisor of the supervisor or candidate
- a graduate student of the supervisor or candidate
- has collaborated or published with the supervisor or candidate
- A proposed external examiner is an industrial or government representative who is or was in the last six years directly involved in collaborative activities with the supervisor or candidate
This list, while not exhaustive, illustrates the nature of potential conflicts to be avoided. The candidate's program must take reasonable steps to avoid recommending an examiner whose relationship with the candidate or supervisor could be seen as jeopardizing an impartial judgment on the thesis.