Who we are / What we do
The Health Promotion (HP) department is made up of 2 Health Promotion Specialists, Administrative Assistants, Team Leaders and Peer Educator volunteers who are dedicated to making health information accessible to students and to encourage well-being through healthy choices. HP is an environment that supports personal and professional development through contribution to the community. HP believes that promoting student health and wellness is integral to the values of the University of Ottawa. This dynamic team can be found educating and encouraging the University of Ottawa community. HP’s focus is to empower students during various stages of change for healthy living and academic success by offering free bilingual resources, services, programs and activities that touch on student health issues such as, but not limited to:
- Mental health stress management and sleep
- Drugs & alcohol consumption
- Physical activity
- Global health and development issues
Health Promotion Centre
The Resource Centre located in UCU203 is a student hub where Health Promotion offers free/bilingual health info, condoms and feminine hygiene products, access to various FREE services and programs, such as:
- Light Therapy: SAD Lamp (Seasonal Affective Disorder)
- CO Testing
- Rapid & Anonymous HIV Testing
Hours of Operations: Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm
613-564-3950 x 290
Every year (in January and February), Health Promotion recruits volunteers for its Peer Educator Program.
Peer Educator (PE) Details:
- Volunteer position (claimable hours on your co-curricular record - CCR)
- Bilingualism preferred (French & English)
- Undergraduate students from all Faculties are welcome to apply
- Act as a representative of uOttawa Health Services (UOHS) and the health topic of the team you are assigned to (Drugs & Alcohol, Global Health, Mental Health, Nutrition, Sexual Health & Physical Activity)
- 3 hours/week from September to April (1hr = team meeting, 2hrs = educational outreach)
- Actively contribute to your team’s development by sharing your ideas on how to educate students on various health topics in fun and interactive ways
- Assist with events such as pet therapy, yoga, wellness week, flu clinics, President’s brunch and many more!
The next recruitment period will launch as of January 7th, 2019.
Peer Educator Program
The Health Promotion (HP) Peer Education Program is made up of 75 volunteers (Peer Educators) and 6 Team Leaders who are dedicated to making health information accessible to students and to encourage well-being through healthy choices.
"Being a PE has helped me to be more confident when talking to people, whether they are friends or strangers."
"Being a PE for the Nutrition team has been so fulfilling and I truly enjoyed my experience. I am so glad to have met such wonderful people and I can't wait to come back next year!"
"Working with the HP team has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. It's allowed me to grow my skills, share my passion for healthy living and meet extraordinary people. I would definitely recommend joining us!"