Heart Health Program
The University of Ottawa Health Services Family Health Team offers a Heart Health Program for patients who want to review their risk for cardiovascular (heart) disease. This program is for individuals who want information regarding:
- Family history of cardiovascular disease and how this might affect your personal risk for a heart attack or stroke in the next 10 years
- Current cholesterol profile and if it is at an acceptable level
- What is blood pressure, how to keep it low and what your personal target should be
- What is a healthy weight for their body type and weight loss strategies
- How to prevent diabetes
- What are the current dietary recommendations for heart health (how to eat a healthy diet)
- How to stay active
- How to manage stress, anxiety and depression
- How to quit or reduce their smoking
- What medications and supplements are shown to improve heart health
- What community resources are in their neighborhood to help them achieve their heart health goals
How to Access
You can ask your health care provider to refer you or self-refer by calling us at 613-564-3950
The UOHS consult department will arrange a Heart Smart Initial Assessment appointment with one of our nurse practitioners. During this one hour appointment you will have measurements taken (blood pressure, weight, height, and waist circumference), review your risk factors and develop a personalized plan.
Those who are interested in regular support and guidance can enroll in the year long program. This program consists of a:
- 3 month follow up phone call- 20 minutes
- 6 month reassessment appointment- 1 hour in clinic
- 9 month phone call- 20 minutes (maximum)
- 12 month final reassessment- 1 hour in clinic
Those who are interested in a more intensive program may wish to explore the CardioPrevent program at the Heart Institute: https://pwc.ottawaheart.ca/programs-services/cardioprevent. A referral from your family physician or nurse practitioner is required.
Get Heart Smart with our Dietitian!
The UOHS dietitian offers a Get Heart Smart education session every 2 months. This is a 1-1.5 hour session where you can learn the basics of how to eat to keep your heart healthy. Please call 613-564-3950 to register.