The Family Health Team (FHT) of the University of Ottawa Health Services offers individual counselling in nutrition by a registered Dietitian. Registered dietitians are health care professionals who are trained to provide advice and counselling about diet, food and nutrition. Our dietitian can help you make healthy food choices by separating fact from fiction and distinguishing healthy eating plans from those that don’t provide optimal nourishment.
What to Expect
- Comprehensive initial assessment
- Regular meetings with the Diabetes Nurse Practitioner for ongoing care and support
- Review of recent lab tests
- Start and adjustment of medication as needed
- Assessment of your risk for heart attack, stroke, peripheral vascular disease, renal function, mental and sexual health
- Advice and discussion about food choice, exercise, smoking, etc.
- Ongoing communication and collaboration with your family physician
How to Access
This service is offered to Ontarian patients who are enrolled with a UOHS family physician. To access our dietitian services, you can either ask your physician or healthcare professional at Health Services for a referral or self-refer by calling 613-564-3950 ext 321. There is no fee for this service.
- Eat Right Ontario or contact the toll free number 1-877-510-5102 to connect with RD for nutrition questions and healthy eating
- Health Canada - Canada’s Food Guide
- Health Canada - Reading Food Labels
- Health Promotion student recipe picks and campus resources
- Dietitians of Canada
- Heart and Stroke Foundation
Hours of Operation
100 Marie Curie, Ottawa
Monday: 8 AM - 8 PM
Tuesday: 8 AM - 8 PM
Wednesday: 8 AM - 8 PM
Thursday: 8 AM - 8 PM
Friday: 8 AM - 8 PM
Saturday: 10 AM - 2 PM
**Please note that on June 14th, the Walk-In Clinic will be open from 8am-8pm, however, the rest of UOHS will be closed from 12pm-5pm. UOHS Staff will be in training in order to better serve you.**
*The Walk-in Clinic, located at 100 Marie Curie, will be closed on Sundays from June 2nd to August 25th
Monday, July 1st: 10 AM - 2 PM
After Hours Access to Care
Patients registered with a family doctor at UOHS
In case of emergency, always dial 911. THAS connects you to a nurse who can provide medical advice, or, if appropriate, provide access to a family health team doctor or suggest that you go to emergency.
Patients not registered with a family doctor at UOHS – Ontario residents
In case of emergency, always dial 911. Telehealth Ontario is a free service that allows Ontario residents to speak to a Registered Nurse with their medical questions any time of the day or night. This could be when you're sick or injured but aren't sure if you need to see a doctor or can treat the situation at home.
Patients not registered with a family doctor at UOHS – Quebec residents