All immigrants and some visitors need to undergo a medical examination before receiving a visa. Citizenship and Immigration Canada has designated certain doctors in each region, who are authorized to perform the immigration medical exams. Your own doctor cannot do the medical exam. UOHS has a panel physician on staff who is approved to perform immigration medical exams. There are fees associated with the Immigration examination – see our Fees page for details.
What to Expect
Your physical will be done by a Panel Physician who has been authorized by Citizen and Immigration Canada to perform immigration physical examinations for Canada. The panel physician will do a complete medical exam and may refer you for chest x-rays and laboratory tests. Once your exam has been completed, the physician will send the results to CIC. The panel physician does not make the final decision about your medical exam. CIC makes that decision. If there is a problem with your medical exam, the visa office will contact you in writing.
Note: It is important that you tell the doctor about any previous or existing medical conditions.
To make an appointment for an immigration physical examination, please call our clinic at 613-564-3950 ext 477.
How to Prepare
Please arrive 40 minutes ahead of your scheduled appointment to allow enough time for completion of the questionnaire and for pre-examination preparation
Here is what is required for your appointment. You will need to bring:
- Your passport if available. If not, proper identification (at least one document with your photograph and signature such as driver’s license, national identity card)
- All your immigration documents
- Any medical reports or test results that you have regarding previous or existing medical conditions
- Your prescription glasses and/or contact lenses
- If you wear contact lenses, make sure to bring your solution
- Bloodwork and a chest X-ray are required for most candidates. The laboratories charge $40-$60 for these tests.
- The Interim Federal Health Program from the Federal Government covers all fees for refugee applicants.
- An administrative fee of $75 will be charged if you miss your appointment, or if you do not cancel the appointment at least 24 hours in advance.
- Note: Student fees and provincial health plans DO NOT cover Immigration Canada Physicals or immunizations. Consult the service fee page for UOHS fees and payment options.