Interested in knowing more about the importance of sleep? You’ve come to the right place! A Student Health Survey conducted in 2017 at uOttawa shows that 64% of respondents take 1 or more naps per week, 35% of respondents pull at least 1 all-nighter per week and 72% of respondents get less than the recommended amount of sleep on a weekly basis. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on the various sleep initiatives!
COVID-19 and Sleep
Sleep is a critical biological process, and the truth is that it’s always important. When confronting the COVID-19 pandemic, though, sleep becomes even more essential because of its wide-ranging benefits for physical and mental health.
- Sleep empowers an effective immune system. Solid nightly rest strengthens our body’s defenses
- Sleep heightens brain function. Our mind works better when we get good sleep, contributing to complex thinking, learning, memory, and decision-making. For adults and children adapting to work and school at home, good sleep can help them stay sharp.
- Sleep enhances mood. Lack of sleep can make a person irritable, drag down their energy level, and cause or worsen feelings of depression.
- Sleep improves mental health. Besides depression, studies have found that a lack of sleep is linked with mental health conditions such as anxiety disorder
- Canadian Sleep Society: The Canadian Sleep Society is a national organization committed to improving sleep for all Canadians through: support for research, promotion of high quality clinical care, education of professionals and the public, and advocacy for sleep and sleep disorders medicine.
- National Sleep Foundation: The National Sleep Foundation is dedicated to improving health and well-being through sleep education and advocacy.
- National Institute of Health : The National Institutes of Health (NIH), a part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, is the nation’s medical research agency — making important discoveries that improve health and save lives.
- Sleep Cycle : Sleep Cycle alarm clock tracks your sleep patterns and wakes you up during light sleep
- Relax & Sleep Well: High quality hypnosis and meditation app by best-selling self-help audio author Glenn Harrold.
- Pzizz: The world's most advanced sleep and power nap system to fall asleep fast, stay asleep, and wake up feeling refreshed.