Drugs and Alcohol Resources
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH): Canada's largest mental health and addiction teaching hospital, as well as one of the world's leading research centres in the area of addiction and mental health.
Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse: CCSA works with its partners to address issues related to substance use and addiction that affect the health and safety of Canadians.
Always taking care (LCBO): Whether you’re hosting or out with friends, there are simple ways to make moderation part of your night. We’ve gathered them for you, all in one convenient place.
Global Health Resources
- Travel Safe (Gov. of Canada): Information on how to have a safe and enjoyable journey whether you are travelling in Canada or abroad.
- Fairtrade Canada: Fairtrade is a movement for change that works directly with businesses, consumers and campaigners to make trade fair for farmers and workers. The international Fairtrade system represents the world's largest and most recognized fair trade system.
- World Health Organization: Our goal is to build a better, healthier future for people all over the world. Working through offices in more than 150 countries, WHO staff work side by side with governments and other partners to ensure the highest attainable level of health for all people.
Mental Health Resources
- Student Academic Success Services (SASS): SASS is a free network of services and programs designed to give you the tools and information you need to succeed from your first day on campus until you receive your diploma and go out into the world to pursue your dreams.
- Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA): CMHA is a national charity that helps maintain and improve mental health for all Canadians.As the nation-wide leader and champion for mental health, CMHA helps people access the community-based resources they need to build resilience and support recovery from mental illness in their own communities.
- Good2Talk: Good2Talk is a free, confidential helpline providing professional counselling and information and referrals for mental health, addictions and well-being to post-secondary students in Ontario, 24/7/365.
- Eat Right Ontario: EatRight Ontario (ERO) is a free service that connects residents of Ontario to the trusted advice of a Registered Dietitian to help you make healthier food choices and answer your nutrition questions.
- Hopewell: Hopewell offers support groups based on the peer support model. Support groups help those who are in treatment or have already sought treatment transition through recovery. Support groups meet once weekly for a series of 8 weeks. For more info check out our support groups info page.
- Health Canada (Food Guide): Eat healthy by using Canada's Food Guide. Also find tips and tools to help you eat foods that are better for you and in the right amounts.
Physical Activity Resources
- Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology (CSEP): A voluntary organization composed of professionals interested and involved in the scientific study of exercise physiology, exercise biochemistry, fitness and health.
- Active Canada 20/20: The response of a broad cross-section of the physical activity community from across Canada who are concerned about health and quality of life, and who are committed to addressing the urgent national need to increase physical activity and reduce sedentary living.
- Exercise is Medicine: Exercise is Medicine® Canada (EIMC) is a movement to encourage a healthy lifestyle among Canadians
Sexual Health Resources
Sex It Smart: The Sex it Smart campaign aims to increase awareness of proper condom use and its importance in reducing the spread of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) through improved condom distribution and better promotion of healthy sexual relationships among youth.
Planned Parenthood Ottawa: Planned Parenthood Ottawa (PPO) is a pro-choice organization promoting healthy sexuality and supporting informed sexual and reproductive health choices through education, counselling, information, and referral services.
Sexuality and You: From talking about sex, to lifestyle choices, to contraception awareness and sexually transmitted infections, SexandU.ca provides accurate, credible, and up-to-date information and education on topics related to sexual and reproductive health.
- Canadian Sleep Society: The Canadian Sleep Society is a national organization committed to improving sleep for all Canadians through: support for research, promotion of high quality clinical care, education of professionals and the public, and advocacy for sleep and sleep disorders medicine.
- National Sleep Foundation: The National Sleep Foundation is dedicated to improving health and well-being through sleep education and advocacy.
- National Institute of Health : The National Institutes of Health (NIH), a part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, is the nation’s medical research agency — making important discoveries that improve health and save lives.
Smoking Cessation Resources
Leave the Pack Behind (LTPB): A tobacco control program that offers young adults smoking and quitting information, personalized support, and quitting resources – all for free! It is funded by the government of Ontario.
Ottawa Public Health - Quitting Smoking: Numerous services, programs and agencies in Ottawa provide assistance when you are ready to quit smoking.
University of Ottawa Heart Institute: Canada’s largest and foremost heart health centre dedicated to understanding, treating, and preventing heart disease.