Moving In and Moving Out
We are excited to welcome you in residence. To help you plan your arrival, read carefully the following information.
Plan your arrival ▼
There are many things you can do before setting foot on campus. Here is a list to help you prepare your arrival.
- Select your arrival time slot if you haven’t already.
Complete the Pre-Arrival process in the Housing Portal.
You MUST select a slot by December 22 in order to be able to move-in (with the exception of students travelling from outside Canada who need to quarantine).
- Save a digital or printed copy of your arrival pass (available in the Housing Portal once you have completed the Pre-Arrival process).
- Complete the mandatory residence training, available in your BrightSpace.
You should complete it at least 4 days prior to your booked arrival day.
- Read the move in guidelines sent to you by email.
- Pack so that you can move in in as few trips as possible.
When you can, pack in easily stackable boxes or containers that can be loaded on a cart.
- Rent a fridge from Coldex (if required)
- Order your uOttawa Card to facilitate obtaining it in person when you arrive. You will need it to access your Meal Plan (your uOttawa card is required to access the Dining Hall).
- Know how to get to campus.
- Have a look at the drop-off zones map and the parking map.
- Get connected: Like Residence's Facebook Page, follow the @uOCampus Instagram account, join the uoConnexion buddy program, and check out our Virtual Wellness opportunities.
What to bring ▼
- Take the COVID-19 self-assessment prior to your arrival on campus.
- If your assessment is positive, you can NOT move in. Please send us an email at residence@uOttawa.ca to figure out the next steps.
- A mask or face covering for you and ONE person that will help you move in.
- A photo ID
- A digital or printed copy of your arrival pass (available in the Housing Portal once you have completed the Pre-Arrival process).
Move In ▼
- Find your specific drop-off zone.
- Arrive 5-10 minutes prior to the beginning of your scheduled time slot.
If you arrive without booking a time slot or outside of your selected time, you will not be able to move in until the next available time slot, which could be on a subsequent day.
- Enter the building and inform us of your arrival.
Don't forget to wear your mask or face covering before going inside.
- Retrieve your keys
- Show a photo ID. Only the ID of the student moving into residence is accepted
- Show a copy of your arrival pass (digital or printed)
- Move in
- Load your belongings in as few trips as possible. The resident and ONE helper are permitted in the residence.
- You will be directed into the building to an elevator. You may need to wait in a physically distanced line until the elevator is available for you.
- Head directly to your room.
If you need to make more than one trip, please immediately drop off your load and head back to the drop-off zone for your next load. You have fifteen minutes in the drop-off zone. Then you can park the vehicle in the nearby designated parking area.
- If you are able, please take the stairs down from your floor. This will free up the elevator for another resident moving in.
Settle In ▼
- Meet your Community Advisor (CA).
- Learn the rules before making your room your own!
- Inspect your room and report any deficiencies.
- Make sure you are familiar with the important documents such as your Residence Agreement and the COVID-19 Self-Isolation Protocol in Residence.
Where you can, please reduce your coming and going in residence from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. from January 8 and 9 to allow new arrivals to move in as quickly and safely as possible. Use the stairs where possible and respect all traffic flow and physical distancing signage.
Note: When moving into residence, be aware that some rooms or units are already occupied by residents who have renewed their stay or have arrived before you. Items found in the shared common areas probably belong to your roommate(s). Please respect the personal belongings and privacy of other students.
Inspect your room ▼
Things to do before moving out ▼
- Put the furniture back in place.
- Take down all posters and decorations; remove all markings.
- Return your rental appliances and cancel all subscriptions.
- Empty your mailbox and send your new address to your correspondents.
- If applicable, recuperate stored items (go to your reception)
- Donate stuff you don’t want any more to the Free Store.
Drop your items, frozen and non-perishable food in the Free Store bin in front of Lamoureux. Please wash the dishes you intend to give.
- Take out the garbage and compost bins, and items for recycling. Return your compost bin.
- Keep the place clean for the people moving in next (cleaning fees may apply).
Cooperate with the housekeeping crew.
- Lock the doors behind you.
- Drop your access card and keys in the designated box for your residence.
If your keys and access cards are not returned by your termination date, a $90 fee will be charged to your account.
The University is not responsible for the items left behind; they will be disposed of and you won't be able to get them back.
Moving out protocols during COVID-19 ▼
- Anyone coming to campus must complete the municipal self-assessment and be free of any COVID-19 symptoms.
- Moving supports (ex. parents and friends) cannot come inside the residence buildings. They must wait outside in their vehicle in the designated loading areas for you to bring your items out.
- Respect the limits in the elevators and be aware that it may take longer than normal to move out.
- Wear a mask at all times in public spaces in residence.
- Keep a 2-metre distance from everyone.
- Follow the directional signage and respect elevator limits.
- Move out as quickly as you can to free up elevators and stairwells for others.
- If you can, consider moving out earlier than April 30 to reduce congestion.
90U Residence: In parking lot K, please follow the signs to get to the loading area.
Hyman-Soloway, Henderson, 45 Mann, and Annex Residences: Follow the signs to get to the loading area.
Upon arrival at the loading areas, please remain in the vehicle and wait for the resident to arrive with their items, as guests are prohibited from entering the residences.
End of agreement ▼
You must move out by the deadline unless your residence agreement is valid in September.
If you move to another room and need accommodation past the move-out deadline, please email residence@uOttawa.ca.
Important Dates ▼
Please refer to the Residence Important Dates and Deadline page to know when you have to move out of residence.
You must move out by the deadline unless your residence agreement is valid in September. If you move to another room, and need accommodation past the move-out deadline, please email residence@uOttawa,ca.
On weekdays, for a better access to parking, we recommend that you move out at night, after 5:00 p.m.
Daily paid parking is available in the Brooks, Perez, Desmarais, and Mann garages (maximum vehicle height: 2 meters).
Have a look at the uOttawa Parking Map for more information.