Standing Committee on Indigenous Engagement
The Standing Committee on Indigenous Engagement (“the Committee”) is intended to support the Vice-President Academic and Provost and Academic Delegate to identify priorities and to develop policies required to implement activities and processes related to the University of Ottawa’s Indigenous Portfolio.
Working in partnership with and in counterpoint to the Indigenous Education Council (IEC), the Committee will assist the Provost and Vice-President Academic Affairs and the Academic Delegate by creating the vision, and drafting and recommending the adoption of action plans, university policies, and procedures to enable effective integration of Indigenous knowledge and Indigenous persons into the university’s overall mandate and strategy.
- Develop a Vision document on Indigenous Strategy and Engagement for uOttawa
- Develop the strategic action plan for Indigenous issues on campus
- Draft uOttawa’s response to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission's Calls to Action and Memorandum of Understanding
- Identify the structural barriers faced by Indigenous students specifically at uOttawa and establish recommendations to eliminate those barriers
- Develop a hiring policy for Indigenous faculty & staff
- Develop an admissions policy for Indigenous students for reserved seats in professional faculties, scholarships, and bursaries.
12 people (minimum) from different faculties and service areas on campus; quorum is 51% of members present.
- David Graham, Provost and Vice-President, Academic Affairs
- Brenda Macdougall, Academic Delegate for Indigenous Engagement
- Tareyn Johnston, Director, Indigenous Affairs
- Claudette Commanda, Community Member and Indigenous Knowledge Keeper
- Lisa Abel, Indigenous Program Coordinator, Faculty of Medicine
- IEC Co-Chair: to be confirmed
- Nicholas Ng-A-Fook (Faculty of Education), professor
- Tracey Lindberg (Faculty of Law), professor
- Matthew Lafreniere (Faculty of Science), part-time professor
- Sylvie Lamoureux (Faculty of Arts), vice-dean,
- Claire Turenne-Sjolander, Vice-Provost, Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
- Sonia Cadieux (Enrolment Management), Associate Registrar
- Serge Blais (Centre for Continuing Education), Director
Number of meetings/year