Born on March 2, 1951, the honourable Louise Charron received her primary and secondary education in Sturgeon Falls, Ontario. She is married to William Blake and has one child, Gabriel Poliquin, and two step-sons, Michael and Steven Blake.
She received a B.A. from Carleton University in 1972 and an LL.B. from the University of Ottawa in 1975. Called to the Ontario Bar in 1977, she practised law with the firm of Lalonde & Chartrand from 1977 to 1980, mostly in civil and criminal litigation.
She served as Assistant Crown Attorney for the Judicial District of Ottawa-Carleton from 1978 to 1988, holding this position on a full-time basis from 1980 to 1985. She was a lecturer in the French common law section of the University of Ottawa’s Faculty of Law from 1978 to 1985, when she joined the Faculty as Assistant Professor, a position she held until 1988.
The honorable Louise Charron was appointed a District Court Judge and Local Judge of the High Court of Ontario in Ottawa in 1988 and Judge of the Ontario Court of Justice (General Division) in 1990. An educator at heart, she has been actively involved in moot courts and in continuing education for judges and lawyers, and was Associate Director of the National Judicial Institute from 1994 to 1996.
Justice Charron was appointed Judge of the Ontario Court of Appeal in 1995 and Deputy Judge of the Nunavut Court of Justice from 1999 to 2004. She was appointed to the Supreme Court of Canada on August 30, 2004. She retired on August 30, 2011.
The honourable Louise Charron has received Honorary LL.D.s from the Law Society of Upper Canada in 2004, from Nipissing University in 2005 and from Sudbury’s Laurentian University in 2006. She is a recipient of the Companion Order of Canada.