Big Ideas Energy Leaders’ Dialogue - November 2015
Nov 2, 2015
In the fall of 2015, Positive Energy hosted a Big Ideas Energy Leaders’ Dialogue to explore cutting-edge innovative ways to solve the complex challenges posed by energy development. Positive Energy and the Economic Club of Canada hosted experts and leaders from all sides of the energy debate in Canada to discuss what finding consensus on energy development in Canada might entail.
In an armchair discussion moderated by The Hon. Perrin Beatty, President and CEO of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce, participants discussed a variety of questions:
- Would a pan-Canadian price on carbon reduce opposition to development of the country’s fossil fuel resources?
- Would negotiating an accord with Canada’s Aboriginal peoples help to reduce conflict and uncertainty and generate greater engagement and empowerment of Aboriginal communities in energy development?
- Do we need to establish regional planning mechanisms, develop ‘energy corridors,’ or negotiate ‘clean energy swaps’ to facilitate permitting of individual projects?
- Should we revisit equalization or explore other means of better aligning the risks and costs of energy development with its benefits and rewards?
- Dr. Monica Gattinger, Chair, Positive Energy
- Brian Ferguson, President and CEO, Cenovus Energy
- JP Gladu, President and CEO, Canadian Council for Aboriginal Business
- Michael Cleland, Senior Fellow, Positive Energy
- Brenda Kenny, President, Canadian Energy Pipeline Association
- Peter Robinson, CEO, David Suzuki Foundation
Honorable Perrin Beatty
President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce
Institute for Science, Society and Policy
120 University Private
Social Sciences Building
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Tel.: 613-562-5800, ext. 3911