Report an incident

Report a case of sexual violence

By reporting sexual violence quickly, you increase your chances of finding and preserving evidence linking your attacker to the crime. Choosing to report is not a simple or obvious decision. You can take time to think about it and discuss it with someone you trust before filing a complaint.

  • Contact the police (911) or the Protection Services (613-562-5499) at any time to report the assault. You can also contact the Human Rights Office (613-562-5222) for help or an external service.

Human Rights Office (bilingual)

1 Stewart Street (Room 121)

Protection Services (bilingual)

141 Louis-Pasteur Street

Ottawa Police Service (bilingual)

474 Elgin Street
613-236-1222 ext.5944

  • Sexual violence is a crime that can be reported no matter how much time has passed since the assault.
  • If you wish to report the assault (now or later), gathering evidence is critical (a sexual assault evidence kit will allow you to collect forensic evidence).


Information IconConfidentiality can only be broken if the person is in immediate danger or if she is a danger to herself or someone else! For more information, please contact the Access to Information and Privacy Office.

What to expect

What to expect from the Human Rights Office

  • You will meet with a harassment and discrimination prevention officer who will listen to you and explain your rights and options in complete confidentiality.
  • If you wish to start a formal or informal process, you will be given advice and assisted with this process. In cases of sexual harassment, information collected during the process includes the aggressor’s name, address and job title as well as dates and places of the incidents and a brief description of each incident (including the gestures, remarks, proposals, threats, touching, etc.) and their impact (job lost, bad evaluation, emotional trauma, etc.). 

What to expect from Human Resources

  • You will meet with a counsellor who will listen to you and explain your options and the resources available in complete confidentiality.
  • The counsellor will be able to determine if you’re able to continue working or should go on leave, and depending on the situation, will file a complaint on your behalf. 
  • The counsellor will, with your consent, ensure that all parties involved are notified of the situation and will follow up as necessary at the appropriate times. The counsellor can also contact labour relations if you so choose. 
  • If you want to file a complaint, the counsellor will direct you to the Human Rights Office, whose role is to handle complaints of discrimination and sexual harassment.

What to expect from the Protection Services

  • You will first meet with a safety officer (you can request to meet with an officer of a specific gender), who will complete a confidential report. Depending on your situation, the officer may work closely with the Human Rights Office or refer you there. An investigation may follow, depending on the circumstances.
  • If you wish, the officer will follow up with the police.
  • The officer will listen to you and support you as best possible, providing you with information on the various resources available.
  • The officer will help you with any appropriate steps you should take, including those with your faculty, department or service with or requesting a No Trespassing Notice (legal document governing your assailant’s presence on campus). This, however, will depend on the details of your case.

What to expect from the police

  • You will meet with a police officer (you can request to meet with an officer of a specific gender) in a private and safe place for an interview. The purpose of the interview is to gather as many details as possible, including any information you have about the assailant.
  • The police will gather all the evidence from the crime scene and ask you questions necessary to gather information for the investigation.
  • If the police have reasons to believe that a crime has been committed, in consultation with you, they will bring charges, which will be transferred to the prosecutor’s office (Crown) for legal proceedings.

What to expect from the prosecutor (Crown)

  • The role of the prosecutor, or the Crown, is to examine the evidence and ensure that the criminal justice system is fair for the public, you and the accused.
  • A staff member from the Victim/Witness Assistance Program will support you and provide you with information concerning the legal process and, in particular, about your case.

Victim/Witness Assistance Program (OVSS)

150 Metcalfe Street, Suite 1400
Ottawa, ON  K2P 1P1
Telephone: 613-239-0451
Fax: 613-239-0691

    Tools and resources

    Please note that the feminine is used throughout this website, but it does not exclude any person who has been a victim of sexual violence.

    Back to top