Our campus in Ottawa
Our picturesque downtown campus in the heart of the nation’s capital offers a student lifestyle that appeals to urban hipsters and nature lovers alike. Parliament Hill, the Supreme Court, the bustling Byward Market and a vast network of historic canals and hiking trails are at our doorstep. You’ll have easy access to gigs, festivals, theatre, good eats and art galleries, especially since a public transit pass that covers Ottawa and Gatineau is included in your tuition fees. This town is booming, giving you plenty of opportunities to connect and network with knowledge-based companies.
Campus beauty shots
Photo credit : University of Ottawa Archives
Living in Ottawa
A Parliament Hill for all seasons
Make the most of your downtime
Surrounded by nature
Five good reasons to study political science
Studying political science at the University of Ottawa means gaining concrete skills thanks to one of the largest political and governmental studies departments in Canada!
Five things that make the Political Science program stand out:
- Politics are everywhere in our lives! There’s no better place than the home of the Canadian government to equip yourself to better understand the power relationships and principles that shape life in society.
- You can grow at the University of Ottawa in a bilingual academic setting, and thanks to our French immersion program, even add a key skill for the Canadian job market.
- You have access to the CO-OP program during your bachelor’s so you can gain up to 16 months of paid experience in the field!
- The program encourages you to think critically about fundamental issues like citizenship, identity, political participation, globalization and development, governance and the state, ethics and democracy!
- Through this program, you can deepen your knowledge of four areas of political science: political thought, Canadian politics, comparative politics and international relations and global politics.
Three good reasons to study mechanical engineering at uOttawa
1. Our focus on entrepreneurship and design means that you can enjoy the following opportunities:
State-of-the-art prototyping and manufacturing facilities
Competitive design teams
Programs to help you grow your start-up
2. Ranked second in Ontario and fifth in Canada, our co-op program boasts very high placement rates in top sectors, including:
- Defence and security
- Automotive and transportation
- Engineering consultancy
- Biomedical engineering
3. Our engineering programs, which are certified by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board, allow our graduates to become world leaders in engineering.
Five good reasons to study communication
When you study communication at the University of Ottawa, you embark on an extraordinary journey. Regardless of whether you choose communication, digital journalism or public relations, each of these options is exceptional for several reasons.
1. Students enrolled in communication programs can participate in the second-largest co-operative education program in Ontario, which is also ranked among the top five in Canada. These students can acquire sixteen months of full-time, paid experience in government agencies or leading companies before they graduate.
2. Communication graduates are plugged into and supported by a solid network of contacts. Several career options are available: communication consultant, media relations officer, marketing officer, event planner or web content manager, to name a few. As Tristan says in the video: "Communication is such a general program that actually has a lot in it."
3. The digital journalism program and the public relations program are continually adapting to new digital technologies. The University of Ottawa provides theoretical, analytical and critical foundations while the colleges (La Cité in French and Algonquin College in English) focus on practical training. This unique combination of theory and practice gives these students an edge over peers who graduate from more traditional programs.
4. Communication is vital to nearly every organization, including corporations, governments, healthcare facilities, universities, industries or even professional sports teams. Communication is everywhere, so employment opportunities are numerous.
5. Our professors have a very understanding attitude towards students who are taking classes in their second language, whether it be English or French. Working conditions are such that they are very skilled in teaching the subject matter in both languages.