Meal plans explained
Mandatory vs Optional
- Meal plans are mandatory for 1st year students living in either Stanton, Thompson, Marchand, Leblanc or 90 University. Students under the mandatory meal plan will be able to choose between a 5 day or 7 day plan during the residence application process. Mandatory meal plans are non-refundable, non-transferable and non-interchangeable.
- Students who commute to campus and students living in a residence that does not feature a mandatory meal plan may choose from any of the meal plans available.
Unlimited access to dining hall (5- or 7-day plans)
Students with the 5 day or 7 day meal plans will have 24-hour access to the All-you-care-to-eat Dining Hall, either 5 days a week or 7 days a week, depending on the meal plan.
5 day meal plan:
- Unlimited access 5 days a week; access is from 4 AM Monday to Friday 23:59 PM.
7 day meal plan:
- Unlimited access 7 days a week.
- Food cannot be taken out of the 24/7 Dining Hall. Please consult the How-to and rules of the 24/7 Dining hall.
Dining $ vs Flex $
- Dining $ are a tax-free currency to purchase food prepared on campus. Dining $ are available only to meal plan holders.
- Flex $ allow students to pay from their uOttawa Card for books, printing, photocopying, laundry and much more.
- Pay-as-you-go meal plan is a tax-free declining balance plan that a student can use at any of the 26 locations on campus, including the Dining Hall.
- Ability to top up your Flex and Dining $ account as necessary.
- Priority access to 24/7 Dining Hall will be given to students who purchased a meal plan.
- At the end of April, any funds remaining in this account will automatically be transferred to your Flex account, minus a $25 administration fee.
- Buy a block of entries to save money on the door rate to the Dining Hall.
- Block plans are intended for students, staff and visitors who do not want to commit to a full meal plan but still want to save money on food. Block plans can only be used to access the Dining Hall and cannot be used elsewhere on campus. Block plans are valid for only one term (fall or winter) and do not provide tax savings.
- Individuals who purchase Block plan must manage the number of times they enter the Dining Hall. They can check their balance of Dining Hall entries at the hall itself or in person at the uOttawa Card Service. Please check the meal plan page for further details on the 24/7 Dining Hall.
* Valid for one term only and are non-refundable, non-transferable, and non-interchangeable.