IMPORTANT NOTICE: For fall 2020 and winter 2021, if you are a full-time student taking all classes virtually, the U-Pass fee will not be applied to your statement of account automatically.
You can submit an opt-in request to still have the discounted transit fare pass (U-Pass).
But keep in mind that if you have already opted-in during the fall term, your U-Pass is valid until the end of April 2021 (you do not need to opt-in again).
There are 4 scenarios that can explain why you weren’t automatically charged the U-Pass fees and would, therefore, need to opt-in.
Prior to submitting a request, it’s important to consider the following:
- Once you have been approved you cannot be exempted; you will then be part of the mandatory program. It is therefore essential that you are certain that you want to opt-in.
- Once your opt-in is approved, your student account will be charged for the U-Pass, and you cannot be refunded.
- We encourage students to verify their statement of account before submitting an opt-in request as you may have already been charged, hence you may already be eligible.
- Students who register later for courses should wait at least 24 hours and verify their statement of account prior to requesting to be opt-in into the program.
- A U-Pass cannot be issued or recharged if the U-Pass fee does not appear on your statement of account.
- To avoid late charges, we recommend that you pay the U-Pass fee immediately.
- If you opt-in during the fall term, you must pay the U-Pass fees for the entire year (fall and winter).
- If you opt-in during the winter term, you only have to pay U-Pass fees for that term.
Once the U-Pass card fee is added to your student account, you will receive an email informing you that you can pick up your card from the distribution centre (UCU, level 0) or uOttawa Card Service office (UCU104). You will need to bring your student number and a valid ID.
Reasons to submit an opt-in request
1. I am a full-time student at the University of Ottawa, and didn't get charged automatically.
If you are a full-time student at the University of Ottawa and the U-Pass fee has not been applied to your statement of account you may submit an opt-in request. The uOttawa Card Service will determine your eligibility.
For 2020-2021, this is the explanation for students taking courses virtually.
Please note, if you are a sponsored students the U-Pass fee will be added onto your statement of account and it is your responsibility to pay for it, not your sponsor.
No supporting documentation necessary.
2. I am part-time at uOttawa and part-time at another educational institution.
Because you do not meet the eligibility criteria for being full-time in either institution you need to opt-in. You must be part-time at uOttawa and in another post-secondary institution in Ottawa that participates in the U-Pass program.
The institutions are:
- Carleton University
- Algonquin College
- Saint-Paul University
Supporting documentation required:
Copy of registration timetable from one of the institutions mentioned above for the term you are requesting
3. I am registered with the Academic Accommodations Service.
If you are not registered full-time because you require accommodation services, you may opt-in.
Supporting documentation required:
- A letter from Academic Accommodation Service confirming that you are considered full-time during the term you are requesting to opt-in the U-Pass program. The letter can be accessed through your Ventus account.
4. I am a full-time incoming exchange student.
As an exchange student attending uOttawa, you may opt-in if you are full-time. Please note, if you are a sponsored students the U-Pass fee will be added onto your statement of account and it is your responsibility to pay for it, not your sponsor.
No supporting documentation is necessary.
How to opt-in
To opt-in, you will need to complete the opt-in application in uoZone and provide the necessary documentation outlined above.
1. Go to uoZone
2. Login to your student account
3. Go to the ‘Applications’ tab
4. Scroll down to the “U-Pass opt-in request form”
Once the U-Pass fee is added onto your student account, you will receive an email informing you that you can come to obtain your U-pass. You will be required to bring your student number and a valid piece of ID.