Google Analytics: Creating a custom report for your site
The following tutorial assumes that you are currently subscribed to the University of Ottawa's Global Tracking data in Google Analytics.
Creating the custom report
1. After you have logged into Google Analytics, go to the Admin panel.
Once in front the Admin panel, select Home/Gateway pages and Global Tracking for account, Global Tracking for property and Global Tracking for view.
2. Once this is done, go to the "Customization > Custom Reports" tab on the left menu and click on the button "New Custom Report".
3. On the page that appears, under General Information, enter the title of your report or your site.
4. Under Report Content:
Enter a name for the report tab (in the example below, we use "Explorer").
Set the Type to "Explorer".
Set the Metric Name to something likes "Pages".
Click on the button "+ Add metric" and add the metrics (table columns) you wish to see. For example, "Pageviews", "Unique Pageviews", "Avg. Time on Page" and "Entrances".
Under Dimension Drilldowns, click on the button "+ Add dimension" and set it to "Page".
5. Under Filters, click on the button "+ Add filter". Search and select the word "Page". Once the filter is added, change the value of "Exact" to "Regex". Then, enter the URL of your site, but remove the http:// or https:// protocol and precede all forward slash characters with a backslash.
6. Under Views, if it does not already say "1 view selected", search for the view "Global Tracking" and select it.
7. Once done, save your custom report. You should now be able to view your report.
Once created, you can retrieve your report at any time by going back to the "Customization" tab and selecting your report. You can also edit your report by clicking on the "Edit" button right below the report's title, and you can export the data to multiple formats such as an Excel file or a PDF file by clicking on the "Export" button.