Step 1: Create the tree of job positions
- Navigate to “Structure” > “Taxonomy”.
- In the table, find “Organization” and click on “list terms”.
- You’ll be presented with a page of existing terms (if applicable). Click on the link “+ Add term”.
- Administrative Title: This title is used for the backend only. Provide a distinctive title for the position and add qualifiers for disambiguation purposes. For example, “Administrative assistant 1 – Dean’s Office”.
- Organization Title: Provide the job title that will be displayed in the actual organizational chart. For example, “Administrative assistant”.
- This position has no person's attached to it in the chart: If you have a position in your organizational chart with nobody attached to it, checkmark this option.
- Once done, click on “Save and Translate” and add the French translation of the administrative and organization titles.
- If you get an “Access Denied” error, log into the French side of your website and try again.
- Repeat steps 1 to 4 as necessary.
- Once done, return to the list of terms you created (Structure > Taxonomy > Organization), then drag and drop the positions up-and-down or left-to-right to organize them in a tree list (just like you would for the Menu of your site).
Step 2: Tag profiles with the terms created
- Navigate to “Content” and then search for the profile desired. Edit the profile.
- Find the field called “Organizational Position”. In this field, type the administrative title you provided in step 1. For example, type “Administrative assistant 1…” – a list of suggestions will appear. Select the one that applies.
- Save and repeat for all profiles associated with terms.
Step 3: Add the Org Chart widget to a page
- Navigate to “Structure” > “Pages” and edit the page where you want the Org Chart to appear.
- In the left navigation menu, select “Content”.
- Click on the top-left gear icon of the region where you want to place the chart. From the dropdown menu, select “Add Content”.
- A window will appear. In the left menu, select “uOttawa Widgets” and then click on “Org Chart”.
- Widget Version: Version 1
- Base Position: The administrative title of the top position (e.g. “Dean”). The field will provide suggestions as you type – select the appropriate one.
- Depth: The maximum depth of the tree (i.e. how many levels below the base position you want to display).
- Click on Finish. Then Update and Save the whole page.