Concerned about yourself?

COVID-19: How to access mental health support from the comfort of your home

During this complex and rapidly evolving global situation around the coronavirus, also known as COVID-19, it is an opportune time to reach out with information about how to access mental health support from the comfort of your home, whether it be online, via telephone or off-campus.


On-campus help

Many resources are available if you are experiencing mental health issues. If you feel distressed and need immediate help, please see our emergency contacts page.

If you want to speak to a professional or get peer support, the University offers many services to suit your needs.

Off-campus help (community resources)

Check out this page for the off-campus resources available, whether you want to talk to someone through a help line, find a walk-in clinic near you or find a psychologist in your region for private counselling.


Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)

Your EFAP is a confidential and voluntary support service that can help you or family members take the first step towards change. We’ll help you find solutions to all kinds of changes at any age and stage of life. You and members of your family can receive support over the telephone, in person, online and through a variety of self-guided resources.

Your EFAP is completely confidential within the limits of the law. No one, including your employer, will ever know you have used the service unless you choose to tell them.

Other resources

If you do not have access to the University's EFAP, there are other resources - on and off campus - that you can call on.

Human Resources - Health and Wellness Sector

The Health and Wellness team is actively involved in helping employees remain healthy and productive at work. We offer programs and resources to promote healthy and safe workplaces and minimize work related injuries and illnesses. We are committed in maintaining the confidentiality of your personal health information and have a number of practices in place to protect the privacy of your personal health information.



Did you know that you have access to counselling via your student health plan?


Your UOSU Health Plan gives you access to 1) extensive insurance coverage for counselling and 2) to the Empower Me support program. See here for more details.


Your GSAED Health Plan gives you access to 1) partial insurance coverage for counselling and 2) to the Student Support Program (SSP). See here for more details.

HealthyMinds App

HealthyMinds is a tool developed by The Royal Hospital to help young people (students in particular) deal with emotions and cope with the stresses of life.

Back to top