Meetings on the move
What is a meeting on the move?
A meeting on the move is one that takes place while the group is on the move instead of sitting in an office or boardroom. We spend far too much time at our computers at work. Have you ever considered whether your meetings actually require access to a computer? If you find a computer is necessary, ask yourself whether you require it for 100% of your meeting time. When we schedule a meeting, we often assume our conversations must take place within an office or boardroom setting. In reality, many of our inspiring thoughts and creative moments happen outside of these settings. Join the growing trend of holding meetings on the move.
A meeting on the move is still a meeting and should have the same elements as other meetings: a start time, an agenda, a purpose, discussions and an end time.
When you schedule a meeting with someone, ask if they’d like to try doing it on the move!
Why have a meeting on the move?
- Research suggests that the act of moving/walking can lead to increases in creative thinking.
- Moving side by side promotes better engagement by breaking down barriers between meeting members, creating a greater opportunity for relationship-building.
- Time away from a screen contributes to improved physical and mental well-being.
- Conducting a meeting on the move allows you to incorporate movement into your day.
Some things to consider for a successful meeting on the move
- Group size: Two to four people is an ideal size.
- Pace: When choosing your route, establish a pace that is appropriate for everyone involved and ensure that everyone is comfortable with the plan.
- Clothing: Wear appropriate shoes and clothing. It may be helpful to send a friendly reminder to participants to do so.
- Route: Designate one person as a guide for the scheduled route.
- Minutes: If your meeting requires minutes, designate one person to record important points (for example, use voice recorder on a smart phone). Be aware of your surroundings (ex: stairs, crosswalks, etc).
- And be sure to enjoy!
Indoors - Route: #1 – Between CRX and FTX
The Learning Crossroads (CRX) is a brand new building at uOttawa. This route starts in CRX then heads through Lamoureux Hall (LMX) and Montpetit Hall (MNT), ending at Go Café on the third floor of Fauteux Hall (FTX).
- Meet in front of the elevators on the second floor of CRX.
- Turn left and go towards LMX.
- Take a right and walk straight ahead towards MNT.
- Go through the double doors into MNT, turning left at the end of the hall.
- Turn right at the hallway towards the Jock Turcot University Centre (UCU) and continue towards Morisset (MRT).
- Take a right at the hallway leading to Déjà-Vu, Thompson and FTX.
- Continue through Déjà-Vu towards FTX.
- Go through FTX and make your way to Go Café.
- Turn around and follow the route in reverse back to CRX.
Indoors - Route: #1 – Between FTX and LMX
This one-hour route between Fauteux Hall (FTX) and Lamoureux Hall (LMX), via Morisset Hall (MRT), the Jock Turcot University Centre (UCU) and Montpetit Hall (MNT), takes place on a single floor and involves following the route three times.
(Note: if you need an accessible route, you may start in MRT - if so, start instructions at number 7. OR you can do this route in reverse, meaning you would start in LMX and go toward FTX.)
- Meet at Go Café on the third floor of FTX. (Note: if you need an accessible route, you may start in MRT - if so, start instructions at number 7.)
- Walk down the hall past the elevators and turn right at the first hall.
- At the end, go through the double doors on the left and then make an immediate left.
- Cross catwalk hallway, turn right at the end and then take the first left.
- Follow this hallway, which leads to Thompson, MRT and UCU and continue through the double doors.
- Continue past Déjà-Vu and into MRT.
- Once in MRT, turn left, pass through UCU and into MNT.
- Take an immediate left, walk to the end of the hallway and turn right.
- Go through the two sets of double doors into LMX.
- Continue through LMX to the elevators.
- Turn around and follow the route in reverse back to FTX.
- Repeat two more times.