Between the lack of sunlight, end-of-year deadlines and other challenges that can arise during this time of the year, the holiday season can be a difficult time for some. If you, a family member or a friend need support over the holidays, know that you are not alone and that there are many options available to our students and staff alike:
- Good2talk - 24/7 (Bilingual). Good2Talk is a free helpline available to all Ontario college and university students. 1-866-925-5454
- The Crisis Text Line is a free text-based help line that can be used by anyone, in any type of crisis. Text HOME to 686868 from Canada, anytime. No need for a data plan or Internet connection. (For French, just text PARLER to the same number).
- Employee-Family Assistance Program (EFAP) is a 24/7 bilingual, confidential and voluntary support service that can help you find solutions to all kinds of challenges related to work, your health or life in general.
- The Graduate Student Association (GSAÉD) also offers a 24/7 bilingual assistance program similar to the EFAP called the Student Support Program. Graduate students can call 24/7 1.855.649.8641 to speak to a counsellor or make an appointment at no cost, or visit the SSP Website (just type in University of Ottawa or GSAÉD to identify your institution) to access the service via electronic chat or email
- The Ottawa Walk-In Counselling Clinic will also be open most of the holiday season (see their website for full details).
If you want to take advantage of the upcoming downtime to give yourself the gift of mindfulness, we invite you to sign up for free to the 30-day challenge. Learn what it means to “take five.”
You can find more support options for you, your family or your friends by visiting the uOttawa Mental Health and Wellness website.