Our Colocation Data Centre, located in Marion Hall is accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Provides. It offers a safe and reliable hosting environment with controlled climatic conditions, and secure, collegial access for researchers and business units.
Our state-of-the-art facility boasts a secure, temperature-controlled environment and our power-distribution systems are protected with UPS backup, providing enhanced stability for applications and processes. Rather than invest in and maintain expensive infrastructure (wall plates, individual networks, uninterruptible power supply (UPS) units, physical server space), researchers can host their servers in the Colocation Data Centre.
- Access to the Data Centre is controlled through an electronic key system, and cameras have been installed throughout the facility to provide an additional measure of security
- Data centre access is limited to server owners and their delegates
- The front side of server cabinets can be individually locked on request
- To protect individual systems, hot aisle access is restricted to the facility managers
- Servers and systems are protected against power anomalies
- The facility’s cooling system is resilient and recuperates heat generated by servers to pre-heat adjacent buildings
Speed and connectivity
- Each server has a free connection to the University of Ottawa network at speeds of 1 Gbps and additional bandwidth can be provided for special requests and requirements
- The facility has 10 Gbps connectivity to the uOttawa campus, the Ontario Research and Innovation Optical Network (ORION), and to Canada’s Advanced Research and Innovation Network (CANARIE)
- Reserved public and private research IP addresses are available, and special isolated networks can be created on demand
- Access to systems can be performed remotely on campus or through virtual private network (VPN) off-campus. KVM switches (keyboard, video and mouse) can be made available upon request.
The Colocation Data Centre is designed for autonomous groups. Information Technology provides basic operating system support to research groups that don’t have access to IT expertise. Analyst support is provided on a best effort basis.
- Faculties and services requiring 24-hour access to their servers
- Researchers and their delegates who wish to host their rack mount servers in a secure, reliable, and cost-efficient environment
- Clients who wish to more securely house their data and computation systems