Disclaimer: The AEL AMS Laboratory is a LOW-BACKGROUND laboratory, FREE OF ENRICHED MATERIAL OF ANY KIND (14C, Tritium). As a submitter, you warrant that your samples are free of any enriched material. If enriched material from the samples (or the packaging in which they are shipped) results in contamination of equipment or instrumentation requiring decontamination or replacement, significant charges will be incurred.
Sample submission form
The AEL-AMS Laboratory adheres to cultural heritage protocols agreed upon amongst the . For clients who are interested in dating potentially valuable artifacts, we request a signed copy of our antiquities declaration before accepting any sample for analysis.
- Declaration for the Dating of Antiquities: (PDF, 182 KB)
- Please review our Terms of Service: (PDF, 598 KB)
- Please review our Sample Failure Policy: (PDF, 156 KB)
We reserve the right to refuse any samples we deem inappropriate for analysis.
- Send an e-copy of your submission to the lab before shipping your samples. Please include a printed copy of your submission form with your sample shipment.
- Courier or ship samples with registered post and indicate the tracking number in your correspondence. We recommend Purolator for shipping within Canada and Fedex for international shipments.
- Please inform us prior to shipping if you are sending hazardous material or soils internationally.
- Classify material as, “Geologically inert samples for destructive scientific analysis - no commercial value”.
- Send only the material you would like dated.
- Customs charges are the responsibility of the submitter; they will be included on your invoice.
- For solid organic samples:
- Dried material is best (freeze-dried or oven dried ~60°C).
- Please do not use non-stick tin-foil.
AEL-AMS Lab, University of Ottawa
Advanced Research Complex (ARC)
25 Templeton Street
K1N 6N5, Canada
613-562-5800 ext. 6864
Current estimated turnaround time: 3 months (upon sample receipt).
Estimated turnaround time is based on the date samples are received in the lab. Actual times may vary. Please inform us of any project deadlines, we will do our best to accommodate your request.
For researchers with end of fiscal reporting deadlines (March 31), please ship your samples to the lab by the end of December.