Our programs take you on an exploration of the visual arts, with a special emphasis on contemporary creation. Both include compulsory practical and theoretical courses that encourage creation and reflection. The department provides photography and media art labs, as well as painting, drawing and sculpture studios. Our location in the heart of Ottawa gives you access to a wealth of artistic venues, such as the National Gallery and the Ottawa Art Gallery. In addition, you train under the guidance of nationally and internationally recognized artists, curators, art historians and theorists. While maintaining its focus on traditional disciplines (drawing, painting, sculpture and photography), the department also helps you discover the use of new media and technologies in the visual arts.
- Immerse yourself in complementary streams of education: Studio Practice + Art history and Theory.
- Get top-quality, personalized education and become part of an artistic community.
- Study amongst the best students in the region.
- Absorb ideas from professors who infuse their teaching with active professional experience and in-depth knowledge.
- Learn from nationally and internationally respected artists, art historians and theoreticians.
- Visit the best municipal and national art museums and organizations: the National Gallery of Canada, the Ottawa Art Gallery, Library and Archives Canada, the Canada Council for the Arts, several artist run centres and local galleries.
- Benefit from our commitment to the integration of art theory and practice.
The University of Ottawa is proud of our many graduates who have gone on to make major contributions to the art world and our decades-long history of outstanding artists, art historians and theoreticians who have taught in the Visual Arts Department. This legacy lives on. Our professors offer attentive teaching and mentoring within a close-knit departmental community, while also encouraging student interaction with a broad network of art institutions and professionals.
number of professors
“The University of Ottawa’s Fine arts department is a lovely environment for young creative minds to expand in their creative journey.”
— Bachelor of Fine Arts with a minor in Communication 2021
News and events
Department of Visual Arts
Monday to Friday
From 8:15 a.m. to 12 p.m.
From 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
(June to August: closed at 3:30 p.m.)