Submission of Digital Portfolio
- A portfolio is a collection of artwork, ideas, sketches, and artistic research material. A portfolio can be as individual as the person who created it, there is no single formula for the perfect portfolio. We want to see what you think about, how you solve problems, what your abilities are, and how you communicate your ideas. You should submit your best and most recent works that reflect your personal interests, your intellectual capacities, and your creative passions.
- Use the Department of Visual Arts online portal, , to digitally submit your portfolio. You must create a user profile by visiting .
Submit 15 digital images of completed artwork, of which 7 show self-initiated projects. Please consider creating your self-initiated artwork in response to the themes or concepts listed below. Self-directed projects or artwork should not be generated from a school assignment. They should be conceived of and executed by you with no outside influence.
Possible subjects/concepts for self-initiated projects:
- Space Movement
- Urban environment
- Social/political issues
- Circulatory systems
- Life’s dilemmas
- Files must be in JPEG, GIF or PNG format
- Individual image files must not exceed 5MB
- Video, performance videos and sound works must not exceed 3 minutes
- Video files must be in WMV, FLV, or MOV format
- Video files must not exceed 60MB
- Audio files must be in MP3 format
- Audio files must not exceed 10MB.
In addition the 15 images discussed in section 3.1, submit 5 digital images of recent sketches, ideas, experiments, or other explorations from your sketchbooks. You may present multiple pages or sketches in a single image. Digital images of artwork must meet the above criteria.
Important Notice: “The SlideRoom application will be undergoing maintenance on Sunday, November 12, from 4am to 3pm ET. During this time, the application will be unavailable. Please plan accordingly. If you have any program-related deadlines during this period, we recommend submitting your materials in advance.”
- The University of Ottawa’s Department of Visual Arts uses as an online digital portfolio submission portal.
- You must visit and create a user profile by providing a current e-mail address, street address and phone number.
- We strongly recommended that you start building your online portfolio as early as possible and access your account often to add and replace images review the order in which your works appear, your image quality and other considerations.
- Once you are logged in, you may view a brief video tutorial on how to use the portal
- You may upload images and videos at any time.
- will allow you to edit and modify your portfolio until the deadline. After that date, SlideRoom will automatically suspend submission. You can visit and build your portfolio in SlideRoom as often as you like leading up to the deadline. Once you click on the submit button, you will no longer be able to make changes. REMEMBER: You must click the submit button if you want us to review your portfolio. Incomplete portfolios will not be reviewed.
- There is a US $30 administration fee for digital portfolio submission, payable upon completion by major credit or debit card through ’s secure website.
The yearly application deadline is April 1st for the Fall session of that year. This is the deadline for both your application in OUAC and your portfolio submission in SlideRoom. There are no January admissions in Visual Arts.
We encourage applicants to apply early. You can begin creating your portfolio in SlideRoom as early as October 1st.