By fostering common management of similar or complementary research facilities, whether located together or distributed, core facilities offer significant benefits including:
- Broad access to state-of-the art services, facilities and technology
- Financial savings resulting from economies of scale and development and consolidation of in-house maintenance capabilities
- Availability of skilled operators ensuring effective equipment use, enhanced data quality and safe operations
- Increased equipment reliability
- Reduced duplication of effort
Core facilities must be broadly available to all University of Ottawa researchers on a service basis with no requirement for scientific collaboration or co-authorship other than normal acknowledgement based on contributions, in accordance with accepted scientific practice.