The Faculty of Engineering recognizes that travel in the pursuit of research for your thesis is necessary and important. For this purpose, the Engineering Graduate Office offers grants for travel outside the National Capital Region when circumstances require it. Travel that allows the direct collection of data for a thesis in progress will be considered. Students may conduct interviews, perform archival research or consult documents or works unavailable in the region, or may further develop their research processes by visiting a foreign lab (university or government).
Students enrolled in full-time studies in a Master’s with thesis program at the Faculty of Engineering when the research stay takes place are eligible. A single grant for the duration of the studies is allowed. At least two terms but less than six terms must have been completed when the travel takes place.
All terms count including terms with leaves of absence, except for approved leaves of absence for medical, maternity or parental reasons.
Value of the Grants
The grants may only be used to cover either travel expenses (train, plane, bus or other) or accommodation expenses (accommodation and meals). Other travel- related expenses will not be reimbursed. The maximum grant is $550.
Participation - Eligibility Requirements
The student must:
- Be studying at the Faculty of Engineering full-time student in a Master’s with thesis program when the travel takes place
- Complete the form
- Clearly indicate how the research stay is related to the thesis in progress
- Ensure that your research Supervisor indicates their support in a detailed recommendation in the space provided for this purpose on the application
Applications must be submitted before the travel takes place (no grants will be considered after the fact).
- Submit your application by email by sending the scanned documents to: [email protected]. Use "Research travel grants" as the email subject line.
- Wait for the acceptance or refusal letter from the Vice-Dean Graduate, Faculty of Engineering, by email (your academic unit and supervisor will be in cc).
- Upon returning from the research stay, complete the Request for Reimbursement of Travel Expenses form and return it with the original receipts to your Academic Unit\Department.
Where applicable, it is the student’s responsibility to ensure that ethics approval for the research project is obtained prior to the Research travel.