Message from the Division Head
The Division comprises of over 25 members, many of whom provide obstetrical care to more than 85% of all patients delivered at the Ottawa Hospital. Over half of the Generalists provide care and education in both official languages. Only two of our members are hospital-based, the rest providing most clinical services in private office settings, permitting a proportionately greater allocation of scarce resources to our patients.
The Division of Generalists in Obstetrics, Gynecology and Newborn Care prides itself in the provision of safe, effective care and has undertaken many initiatives in the areas of patient safety, quality assurance, and evidence-based medicine. These include:
- Pilot site participation in the national MORE OB program
- Development of quality indicators and incident review processes (The Ottawa Hospital, General and Civic Campus Quality assurance committees and Perinatal Care Committees.)
- Development of clinical practice guidelines and clinical pathways
- Development of clinical efficiencies to reduce length of stay and resource utilization, with the result that many procedures are now carried out in the ambulatory setting
Through our commitment to excellence in clinical care, we are integral to the recruitment and participation of patients and staff in the many research activities of the Department.
Our commitment to teaching is demonstrated through the volume of undergraduate and postgraduate medical education provided in the Ottawa Hospital. The other academic divisions within our Department would find it difficult to achieve their current educational commitment without the teaching support provided by the Generalist Division.
Dr. Jessica Dy, MD, MPH, FRCS(C), Division Head
- Gynecological surgery, including minimally invasive surgery
- Vulvar clinic
- Benign gynecology clinic
- Low risk obstetrical clinics
- Mature Women’s Health
- Family Planning and Contraception clinic